928d, levers return at different speed

BrokeSolid

Threads
Ok, so I've had my 928 for a few weeks now and love mowing with it. I just love it period. I replaced a few things that were missing or old. I also adjusted the drive linkage since it was off when going forward. Once I did that, it's now going straight, but the levers return at way different speeds. If I'm not careful the tractor will spin around when coming to a stop. I have to pull them back together. The dampers appear to be working fine, and both springs are adjusted fully out for max pull. Think the springs are wearing out? They are only a 1.81 each, so I'll start there. What else could it be, lubrication?

173abn

Threads
there is a grease zerk on each one,pop your seat and you will see them.The L. one is a little harder to get to so I stick the grease gun hose up on top the tire from the outside to reach it. hope this helps...russ

BrokeSolid

Threads
I'm surprised I didn't see them when I was messing around with adjustments. That's probably it. Thanks for the response.

BrokeSolid

Threads
Ok, there is no grease fitting on the linkage system anywhere. I did pop off both dampers to check spring tension and they are not the same at all. So I'll replace them both since cheap enough and go from there.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Spray white lithium grease is your friend. Get a can and spray all moving parts that do not have a zerk.

173abn

Threads
sorry BrokeSolid,didn't mean to give out misinformation to you.You must have a newer model than mine,I understand the newer mowers have less Zerks than the older ones like mine.I have 14 zerks on mine,two of which for the steering arms....russ

BrokeSolid

Threads
sorry BrokeSolid,didn't mean to give out misinformation to you.You must have a newer model than mine,I understand the newer mowers have less Zerks than the older ones like mine.I have 14 zerks on mine,two of which for the steering arms....russ

No big deal Russ, you were just giving me info based off yours. Mine is a 2006 model and it looks like I only have 5 zerks on my tractor, and 6 on my deck, so a few less for sure. I should have the new springs by Thursday, I'll keep the thread updated with results.

BrokeSolid

Threads
Welp, what I thought was a simple $1.10 spring swap is going to be a 6 hour affair. Taking the old one off took less than 30 seconds, getting the new one on will not be easy unless I completely disassemble the tractor so I can get my hands in there to stretch the spring and get the nut started. Geez did I screw up, never thought there was that much pressure on that spring. Other option is to get 2" longer bolt then maybe cut it off if need be. Might still do that, see how I feel about it once I get one.

BrokeSolid

Threads
Got the springs replaced with the use of longer bolts, that was too easy, only cost a dollar and I didn't have to cut them either, plenty of room. Just too long for a deep well, so I used a ratchet wrench, piece of cake. They did help a little, but def was not the problem. Now I'm thinking it is the shocks, they don't seem to be different resistance when working them, but the one will expand on its own while the other will not. Much like hood or truck cap shocks, that makes me think the one isn't sealing well anymore. When you disconnect them, the arms seem to work perfectly together. I might try switching them from side to side to see if the problem follows the shock first. They aren't quite as cheap as the things I've replaced already, looks like close to $40 each, anyone have a better source?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Part number?