Stihl FS- 36 Cylinder Gasket broken

Kartoffel

Forum Newbie
Threads
Been trying to get my FS-36 going (never did) but while routing through it, I noticed the cylinder head gasket was in a few pieces and sucky looking. This part:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Stihl-O...-FS44-FS-36-40-44-4130-029-2300-/151926360922

I don't know that I live to close to any place that would be able to get the part and shipping is always twice the part...
Whats the consequence to leaving it as is?
What substitute material could I use, if any? I have RTV. Bout it.

Dumb questions, but beyond spark plugs and carb cleanout I don't have much experience.

nhyrum

Threads
I believe I have the same motor as you do in my fs45.

I would stay away from rtv for the piston. I don't think it could handle it. That being said, mine has rtv on the crank case.

Most auto parts stores carry "gasketing material" I believe they call it, essentially cork. If you find some that's about the right thickness, get it, trace the cylinder and/or old gasket, cut and viola. New gasket. Or, what I've done for carb gaskets an such is the same thing but with a manilla folder.

The problem I see with the rtv is your head needs a certain amount of clearance, else you risk banging the piston on the spark plug. I don't know if simply changing out the gasket for rtv will cause that, as it will just squish out, to end up with basically metal on metal.

Hope that gets you back up and running.

nhyrum

Threads
Oh, and pay attention to the orientation of the piston. Each ring has a pin in the groove to keep them from wandering. Once you put it back together, if you can see those pins, you have the piston in 180 degrees off. If you were to run it it's possible the ring end could hang out a little too far, catch on the exhaust port and break

upupandaway

Threads
I believe I have the same motor as you do in my fs45.

I would stay away from rtv for the piston.

I have used RTV in many motors with no problem.

upupandaway

Threads
BTW, when u reassemble it, put lock washers in there. Ive seen a handful of that type of motor - 2 screws ryobe-ish, that wiggle loose. a few 1 works looser and the bracket breaks off.

nhyrum

Threads
Sorry, I didn't clarify very well, my fs45 had red rtv on the crankcase from the factory. And when I disassembled it, I used red rtv to replace it. But. For the actual cylinder, I'd try to not use silicone. If you do use silicone, favor the outside, so when it squishes out, It doesn't go into the cylinder.

upupandaway

Threads
The gasket is on the low pressure side of the piston. It's not professional but hey, I don't do it for a living but for every trimmer/blower i have acquired (fs36 and 45 I did and sold recently), it works. For ones I kept, a little that oozed into the chamber didn't kill my machines.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Been trying to get my FS-36 going (never did) but while routing through it, I noticed the cylinder head gasket was in a few pieces and sucky looking. This part:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Stihl-O...-FS44-FS-36-40-44-4130-029-2300-/151926360922

I don't know that I live to close to any place that would be able to get the part and shipping is always twice the part...
Whats the consequence to leaving it as is?
What substitute material could I use, if any? I have RTV. Bout it.

Dumb questions, but beyond spark plugs and carb cleanout I don't have much experience.

That is free shipping. Buy it you need the gasket to maintain proper head clearance.