Honda push mower wheels lock up in reverse

jbone36

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hope someone can solve my mystery problem of my rear wheels locking up in reverse...

Bought a used Honda HRR2169VLA push mower last spring from a local and reputable Honda dealer. It has the SmartDrive system and electric start. It was a good looking machine and I had no issues with it at all last summer after replacing the electric starter motor and rear wheels since they were just worn. This year, I started having problems with the rear wheels locking up in reverse.

I can mow about 1/2 to 3/4 of my front yard (10-15 mins worth) before I can start feeling resistance on the back wheels when I pull the mower backwards. Then a minute or two later and the rear wheels completely lock up. It will still roll forward and the SmartDrive still works, but I do notice it is slightly sluggish.

I removed and replaced the transmission and drive belt and it didn't resolve my problem. I adjusted the SmartDrive system per the manual with no help. The bushings in the rear adjuster arms looked a little chewed up, but nothing that bad. I pulled them out and didn't notice any resistance when I spun them on the transmission axle. The bearings on both rear wheels are perfectly fine. The mower deck isn't bent because it worked fine last year when I first got it and it has had zero damage since.

The drive system seems pretty simple , so I am trying to think of what could possibly make it drive / roll without issue at first, but suddenly act up shortly after. Is there something in the SmartDrive that could cause this?

Thoughts?? Thanks!

jp1961

Threads
Hello,

Hmmm, just watched a Youtube video on a Honda lawnmower tranny replacement yesterday. When you replaced the transmission, did you pull the small springs in the slots at the ends of the shaft from the old unit and install in the new one?

https://youtu.be/h-hdIG0UhJU

Regards

Jeff

Last edited:

primerbulb120

Threads
Hope someone can solve my mystery problem of my rear wheels locking up in reverse...

Bought a used Honda HRR2169VLA push mower last spring from a local and reputable Honda dealer. It has the SmartDrive system and electric start. It was a good looking machine and I had no issues with it at all last summer after replacing the electric starter motor and rear wheels since they were just worn. This year, I started having problems with the rear wheels locking up in reverse.

I can mow about 1/2 to 3/4 of my front yard (10-15 mins worth) before I can start feeling resistance on the back wheels when I pull the mower backwards. Then a minute or two later and the rear wheels completely lock up. It will still roll forward and the SmartDrive still works, but I do notice it is slightly sluggish.

I removed and replaced the transmission and drive belt and it didn't resolve my problem. I adjusted the SmartDrive system per the manual with no help. The bushings in the rear adjuster arms looked a little chewed up, but nothing that bad. I pulled them out and didn't notice any resistance when I spun them on the transmission axle. The bearings on both rear wheels are perfectly fine. The mower deck isn't bent because it worked fine last year when I first got it and it has had zero damage since.

The drive system seems pretty simple , so I am trying to think of what could possibly make it drive / roll without issue at first, but suddenly act up shortly after. Is there something in the SmartDrive that could cause this?

Thoughts?? Thanks!

The Teflon bushings on the rear axle shaft like to heat up and seize after a few minutes of operation. They need to be replaced regularly to prevent the problem you describe. The one mistake Honda made on these mowers was to put Teflon bushings on the axle shaft. They should have put bearings like Toro did.

jbone36

Forum Newbie
Threads
The Teflon bushings on the rear axle shaft like to heat up and seize after a few minutes of operation. They need to be replaced regularly to prevent the problem you describe. The one mistake Honda made on these mowers was to put Teflon bushings on the axle shaft. They should have put bearings like Toro did.

Awesome, the bushings were my next try as it seemed to be the next likely cause. Thanks for the reply!

jbone36

Forum Newbie
Threads

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
This was very helpful, thank you! Unfortunately my mower is out of warranty, but at least they are pretty cheap. Do the new adjuster arms come with the new bearings then? Or do I have to purchase them separately ?

The adjusters have the bushings already installed.

sornstein2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does anyone have a copy of JUST the service bulletin? I cannot find it listed on any of Honda's recall/TSB sites.

Thanks.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does anyone have a copy of JUST the service bulletin? I cannot find it listed on any of Honda's recall/TSB sites.

Thanks.

(1) Find the serial number off the back of your mower's deck:

lmserialnumber_zps63822669.jpg

(2) Drop me a PM with your email, and I'll send you a copy of the bulletin as an FYI, plus .