Briggs 18hp twin i/c ign coil issue?

creed1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys I recently picked up a Dixie chopper retrofitted with a Briggs twin engine and seem to be having some ign coil issues and wanted to get some more opinions on where to go from here.
Briggs 18hp Twin I/C Model 42a 707 type 2238-e1
So I had intermittent starting with my mower would start fine cold most of the time once engine was up to temp and you killed it you could not refire unless you grounded one of the spark plug wires then it would start and seems to run fine. Replaced with brand new briggs coil and it seemed the issue was gone for last week or so and now the issue appears to have returned. Makes no difference if kill wire is connected or disconnected. Not really sure where to go from here besides trying another new coil as this one is still under warranty, but I really do not want to be replacing coils weekly.
Thanks
Chris

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is a diode between the two coils to prevent them interfearing with each other.
This goes bad & causes all sorts of problems.
It goes bad because the engine gets too hot because owners do not clean them each season.
Check that the solenoid on the carb is working by disconnecting the cut out wires from each coil starting the engine then shutting it down using the key.

If it works properly , replace the blower housing then do a test cut
Engine runs fine then the diode is the problem.
Note the coils are position sensitative and if installed upside down will not work.
DO not run the mower like this for any reason other than testing because it is a tad dangerous if like the grat big wheel driven by steam if you can not stop the engine.