520h electrical problem

bsblhater

Forum Newbie
Threads
the center lug of my voltage regulator has a output of -6 volts dc. i have the positive lead of my fluke meter hooked to the center lug and the negative lead hooked to battery negitive terminal. should i consider this a bad voltage regulator. it has the required ac voltage on the outside ac terminals. it runs between 25 and 37 volts ac on the outside terminals which come from the engines stator/ generator. has anyone seen this before. i replaced the regulator 2 or 3 years ago. iam also trying to find a wiring diagram of the mower chassis. in the online onans motor manual for this mower it just has the wiring diagram for the motor to keep it running. there are various things not working on the chassis such as lights / tac /etc. any input would be appreciated. this is my uncles mower. my mower is a 244-5 bought it new in 92 and its been incredible. all i have done to her is changed electric clutch for the deck and 2 spindles on the deck. thats another issue his deck is a 48 in side discharge through hours of searching the spindles look to be the same as mine and of all the deck drawings i have looked at they have the same part number which is 114568. does anyone know if this is correct.
his mower is a 1990 and i got the part number from a 91 48 in side discharge deck. his deck does not have a sticker on it with the model number.

thanks
jim

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there - WELCOME to LMF! :smile:

I moved your thread to the Small Engine & Mower Repair Forum.

bsblhater

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks brianna i will need assistance until i get the hang of it here. brianna as i was surfing this site i found the discussion by brand. can you move this topic to the toro forum. thanks

jim

Last edited:

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
this is interesting!...the diodes in the alternator dont allow for negative output....double check your voltmeter!....engine numbers would help a great deal!....im not familiar with this rig...i hope someone else here has some insight....

bsblhater

Forum Newbie
Threads
hey red thanks for the interest. i tried two different digital vom,s and they both say the same. i thought my fluke vom was lying so i put a new batt in it. using the negative post of the battery for my neg meter lead and the positeve meter lead to the center lug of the regulator this is what i get. the only other thing i can think that i did wrong was is mistake the leads on the battery and i will drive up there and make sure of that. i suppose i could have been having a memory lapse. i do believe his muffler was putting so much heat on the fuse box and wiring harness that it was overheating it causing some bad things to happen with the main feed in the plug. i had to bypass that and a yellow i cant remember what the yellow was for at the moment.

thanks
jim

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
its hard to judge...if a regulater is under $40..maybe its worth a try....if i had some more pictures..it might help...but keep us updated..im curious:smile: