Newb asking Gravely questions

AMcD

Forum Newbie
Threads
I originally posted this in the Check In thread and realized that it might not get any response so I am reposting here:

Considering the Gravely ZT XL 42 for my 1 acre yard but wanted to do some research first and forums are usually good places to start.

I know the ZT X utilizes sealed hydrostatic trannies versus the XL using heavier rebuildable units. I tend to like rebuildable over throw away but the extra $1k upcharge warrants some inquiry on my part to see what people think of each type that have actually used them so comments are appreciated.

Also, Gravely of course tries to promote their own oils and filters for the ZT2800 transaxles at $100 but 5 quarts of oil, 2 filters, and some fittings/hose/pump bits do not add up to anywhere near $100 unless you are looking for crazy profit margins so are there commercially available alternatives for the oil and filter anyone is aware of?

Lastly, are there any other things I should be aware of on these mowers? Especially from the standpoint of "only the dealer can do this work". I like to do my own service and maintenance and understand the design of the equipment I have around my house. Paying someone else so I can stay oblivious is not really an option for me.

Any feedback is much appreciated. Of course, I will spend some time reviewing topics/threads on this forum and I apologize if I am asking questions already posed in other threads. Some forum members from other forums I have been a member of get kinda cranky about that kind of thing.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I originally posted this in the Check In thread and realized that it might not get any response so I am reposting here:

Considering the Gravely ZT XL 42 for my 1 acre yard but wanted to do some research first and forums are usually good places to start.

I know the ZT X utilizes sealed hydrostatic trannies versus the XL using heavier rebuildable units. I tend to like rebuildable over throw away but the extra $1k upcharge warrants some inquiry on my part to see what people think of each type that have actually used them so comments are appreciated.

Also, Gravely of course tries to promote their own oils and filters for the ZT2800 transaxles at $100 but 5 quarts of oil, 2 filters, and some fittings/hose/pump bits do not add up to anywhere near $100 unless you are looking for crazy profit margins so are there commercially available alternatives for the oil and filter anyone is aware of?

Lastly, are there any other things I should be aware of on these mowers? Especially from the standpoint of "only the dealer can do this work". I like to do my own service and maintenance and understand the design of the equipment I have around my house. Paying someone else so I can stay oblivious is not really an option for me.

Any feedback is much appreciated. Of course, I will spend some time reviewing topics/threads on this forum and I apologize if I am asking questions already posed in other threads. Some forum members from other forums I have been a member of get kinda cranky about that kind of thing.

1. Sealed units are not unserviceable. Hydro-Gear sales parts for them and you can also change the oil if need arises. We have a thread on here where some one rebuilt the hydros. They are called EZT. I have them in my mower and they are fantastic units.

2. Hydro-Grear created their drives with Castrol 20w 50 non-synthetic motor oil as the gold standard. Any good 20w 50 motor oil will work.

AMcD

Forum Newbie
Threads
1. Sealed units are not unserviceable. Hydro-Gear sales parts for them and you can also change the oil if need arises. We have a thread on here where some one rebuilt the hydros. They are called EZT. I have them in my mower and they are fantastic units.

2. Hydro-Grear created their drives with Castrol 20w 50 non-synthetic motor oil as the gold standard. Any good 20w 50 motor oil will work.

Thank you BlazNT. It is good to know the EZTs are indeed serviceable. The dealer told me they are not and have to be replaced when they fail at a cost of $750 plus labor. I guess maybe he was trying to scare me into the higher priced unit?

The 20w-50 oil info is exactly what I was looking for as I can get that anywhere even if I have to buy the Gravely filter at $17.

Thank you again for the quick feedback as I plan on starting the process of acquiring a mower today.