wit's end

lastchance

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 5 year old John Deere Z425 with a 23hp briggs engine. Ithas run great up till now. Started running for about a hour and cutting off. It would crank back but was only half running. After some advice decided to replace the coils. Figured I might as well do both. Used a feeler gauge to set them, and now it will not crank at all. Spins and backfires through the carb. Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First thing to check, did you put tHem on upside down? Did you pinch the kill wire? Gap should be at .010. Just a few thoughts.

lastchance

Forum Newbie
Threads
Actually had to splice the kill wire as it was not long enough for the new coils. Set with a feeler gauge and these would only go one way. Checked and seem to begetting a spark on one. Will check the other tomorrow. Thanks,I was gonna put it in the shop,but everyone around here is so backed up they aren't taking anything, story of my life it seems.

Tinkerer200

Threads
It may very well have been the Kill Wire Harness which was you problem in the beginning. Anything can fail but B&S CDI is very reliable. Your splice may have been the final straw. Disconnect both kill wires from the base of the coils and see if engine runs, IF so, you have found your problem.

Walt Conner

lastchance

Forum Newbie
Threads
Had a bad splice I think, rechecked them and it fired right up. Today is the first day with no rain and I still have the problem, so I don't guess it was a coil issue. When it starts cutting out ,if you let it sit for 5 minutes or so it is good to go for about twenty minutes. I have no idea where to look next. I took a short break and after going back out the motor is surging now and doing its best to cut off. Actually did stop at one point but started right back up still surging.It has now developed another problem,I have no throttle control,it starts wide open in the slow position, throttle has no control over it at all. I think I need to find a shop.

Last edited:

Gordon308

Threads
It has now developed another problem,I have no throttle control,it starts wide open in the slow position, throttle has no control over it at all. I think I need to find a shop.

Starting in a wide open throttle position doesn't sound like it's directly related to your other issues -
1. If you haven't already, check your throttle linkage and cables to make sure everything is connected and moving freely.
2. Check your governor linkage (it's in the vicinity of, but operates separately from the throttle linkage) to make sure there isn't any organic materials (grass, twigs, mouse nest, etc.) holding it in an open position. Verify it is moving freely from fully closed to wide open positions also.
3. With the air cleaner removed, look in the throat of your carburetor to make sure the throttle plates are in place (screws can fall out...) and being controlled (wide open to fully closed) by the throttle cable and also (separately) the governor linkage.

I had a problem last week on a 1972 - 147 Cub Cadet Hydro that wouldn't start when cold. Spent a couple of frustrating hours messing with the carburetor, checking spark, and spraying starting fluid with little results. I was finally convinced it was being caused from a can of old gas. Eventually discovered that my choke cable had somehow become disconnected from the choke linkage, so when I pulled the choke cable it was not moving (closing) the choke at all. Five seconds to re-connect the cable and problem solved! Sometimes the simplest things can cause the most frustration.....:ashamed: