Repairs Removing Fan Shroud from Scag Turf Tiger with Kohler Engine

GFGT

Threads
  • / Removing Fan Shroud from Scag Turf Tiger with Kohler Engine
Hi all,

I'm need to fix an owner induced error. I need to remove the fan shroud from the engine of my Turf Tiger. It's got the Kohler Command Pro 27HP engine. I'm not sure of the model number but it's something like STT61A-27CH. It's approximately 13 years old.

I can see the bolts and screws on the upper portions of the shroud, I can get the fan screen off, but there appears to be more fasteners towards the bottom of the engine. Then, even if I find the rest of them, I'm not even sure there's clearance between the engine and the frame of the mower to pull the shroud forward.

If anyone has some advice, I'd love to read it.

Thanks.

GFGT

Threads
Bump...

Nobody's ever had to take a shroud off? :anyone:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If that is a horizontal engine with a PTO at both ends then you have to remove the engine to get the blower housing off.
OR at least the drive shaft .
If it is a vertical shaft, the blower housing simply pulls off after the fuel pump & rectifier are unpluged.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Kohler Command vertical requires removing the dipstick, fuel pump, breather if located in the valve, rotating screen, and then you can get to the one 8 mm screw located on the back corners of the housing, then there is another 8 mm screen about half way up the side toward the head, Then there are two more 8 mm screws above each head. Also you will need to unplug the regulator, and remove the screw that secures the grounding strap/ wire and then the housing should pull off.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Scag Turf Tigers of this vintage have horizontal shaft engines mounted behind the operators seat and with the crankshaft facing forward. The crankshaft sticks thru a vertical pump mounting plate and V belt drives the pumps from behind the plate, the clutch is on the end of the crankshaft that sticks thru the plate. The rear of the engine has a fair amount of items mounted also.
Removing the engine from the machine and doing what is needed to the engine is the best way to do most anything to the engine cooling system of air cooled models. Liquid cooled engines have a radiator mounted on the rear of the engine.
Newer Turf Tigers have the engine turned around.
A suggestion to the OP, power equipment does not go by model years, but by machine model designation and serial number ranges which fall into a production group that usually runs for 24 months and starts at the manufacturers designation.
Posting the machine model, serial number, engine model narrows down to a specific machine/engine combination which assists anyone here in the group to better assist those seeking advice.

GFGT

Threads
Thanks guys.

It's a STT61A-27CH, SN 9380296. Engine is a Kohler CH7 40S.

What I need to do is check the adjustment on the left side (as you're driving the mower) ignition module. It's a long, boring story (and a little embarrassing), but I need to make sure I got it back into the correct location. It appears my greatest hurdle is getting the shroud off far enough to get access with a driver and a feeler gauge. I'm hoping I can do it without pulling the engine.

GFGT

Threads
Just to close the loop on this...

The last time I mowed, I noticed a loss of power from time to time. But since I was leaving for a week's vacation, I was hoping I could put off getting around to this when it was convenient after I got back. Today, I was catching up with mowing after being gone for a week and a half and parts of the yard was quite high. Like last time, I thought I felt a loss of power a few times but was hoping to get through today and look at it this weekend. But no. The power loss and what felt like misfire was getting so bad, I had to stop mowing and tear into it.

I found all the bolts and screws holding the shroud on. To get to the ones on the right side, I had to remove the battery and the battery holder to make it easier. There are two screws holding the oil cooler on the housing. The one on the lower left side was pretty easy to get to once I found it. There is enough room to pull the shroud forward and off the engine -- which one of my concerns. It didn't look like it but I guess I held my mouth just right and it came right out. (And back on later with no problems).

I found that one of the wires to the left ignition module had come off. The tension on the center spade connector was quite loose. I crimped it slightly and reinstalled it. I also checked the air gap between the flywheel magnet and ignition module as I thought I might have messed that up while I was troubleshooting another problem. I also took the opportunity to degrease and clean everything I could with the shroud off.

Once I put everything back together, it ran fine and I restarted mowing after about a 3 hour or so sidetrack.

Then...I ran out of gas!

If anyone has any questions, let me know.

mphymel

Forum Newbie
Threads
I need to do the same, getting no fire from either. This machine has the spark advance built into the ignition modules. Have power to the modules but no fire on either. Those inspection covers dont seem to offer enough access to really get to the ignition. Glad to see that I should be able to get that cover off.

Luffydog

Threads
Have you tested to make sure it's not getting spark or just guessing because it won't start that that is your problem.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just to close the loop on this...

The last time I mowed, I noticed a loss of power from time to time. But since I was leaving for a week's vacation, I was hoping I could put off getting around to this when it was convenient after I got back. Today, I was catching up with mowing after being gone for a week and a half and parts of the yard was quite high. Like last time, I thought I felt a loss of power a few times but was hoping to get through today and look at it this weekend. But no. The power loss and what felt like misfire was getting so bad, I had to stop mowing and tear into it.

I found all the bolts and screws holding the shroud on. To get to the ones on the right side, I had to remove the battery and the battery holder to make it easier. There are two screws holding the oil cooler on the housing. The one on the lower left side was pretty easy to get to once I found it. There is enough room to pull the shroud forward and off the engine -- which one of my concerns. It didn't look like it but I guess I held my mouth just right and it came right out. (And back on later with no problems).

I found that one of the wires to the left ignition module had come off. The tension on the center spade connector was quite loose. I crimped it slightly and reinstalled it. I also checked the air gap between the flywheel magnet and ignition module as I thought I might have messed that up while I was troubleshooting another problem. I also took the opportunity to degrease and clean everything I could with the shroud off.

Once I put everything back together, it ran fine and I restarted mowing after about a 3 hour or so sidetrack.

Then...I ran out of gas!

If anyone has any questions, let me know.

Nice informative reply, glad to hear you have things back to normal, keep in touch ! .. :thumbsup: