Owner of model 987.388122 , B&S 650 series 21" push mower. New Member

discord

Threads
  • / Owner of model 987.388122 , B&S 650 series 21" push mower. New Member
Someone gave me a Craftsman mower, told me to adjust the (governer) screw on the carb inlet pictured below, and I might get it to run. Brought it home and looked like it was bone dry for oil. Filled it with oil and gas, would run for a half second and stop. Thought I was going to have to clean or replace the carb.

Today I dumped the oil and gas, refilled it. Used some extra M1 5W-30 left over from my oil change. Put gas in it, and what do you know started fine, cut grass, no issues. Starts every time. Haven't had a mower in years but feels like it's brand new starting like that. :D

Just thought I'd say hello on here.

Anyhow the blade looks pretty warn down, like it hit some rocks. Don't have a grinding wheel, but thought maybe I should buy a new blade. From the manual the part is 406706. How do you folks sharpen your blades? Never really got the file business down. Don't own a vice.

m_mower.jpg

m_carb.jpg

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Welllll ...a freebie mower... a little TLC ... n you have a working mower... at that ...I wouldn't hesitate to buy a BRAND NEW BLADE !!! :rolleyes:
Shame all over you ... you did say you cut the lawn ...be thankful it was'nt a "boat-anchor" ...Enjoy it !!!

discord

Threads
I recall a mower I purchased long ago. The guy sold it to me for the bargain price of $25. Told me it would run and cut my grass. I'd start it and it would run for a minute and then take me 10 minutes to get it started again. I managed to cut 3/4 of the lawn with it after a few hours. What a nightmare!

discord

Threads
By the way is that screw in the image above under the air filter a carb adjustment, and is it referred to as the governor?

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move this thread over to our Craftsman section for you :smile:

primerbulb120

Threads
There are no carb adjustments on that mower. If it runs rough, the carb probably needs cleaning.

One other thing: You need to replace your air filter box ASAP. It has a corner broken off, which will prevent the air filter from sealing correctly, which will allow dust and debris to get past the filter, which will eventually ruin your engine.

I sharpen my blades with an angle grinder + grinding wheel. I would never think of trying to sharpen them with a file. :wink:

discord

Threads
Thanks for pointing out the issue regarding the air box. I will do something to close it off until I can get the replacement.

There are no carb adjustments on that mower. If it runs rough, the carb probably needs cleaning.

One other thing: You need to replace your air filter box ASAP. It has a corner broken off, which will prevent the air filter from sealing correctly, which will allow dust and debris to get past the filter, which will eventually ruin your engine.

I sharpen my blades with an angle grinder + grinding wheel. I would never think of trying to sharpen them with a file. :wink:

discord

Threads
I brought this mower out to my folks place, and it died unexpectedly. I haven't been able to restart it, and I think it doesn't sound the same when I pull the starting line. Any ideas on what would cause this?

discord

Threads
carburator_removed.jpgcarburator_removed.jpg

In the shot above you can see I tied up the gas line when removing the carburetor. But does anybody know what the other line is for? I thought maybe it was to drain the carb, but it's not attached. Otherwise is it an overflow relief for oil? Should it be attached to something

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you are talking about the elbow tube toward the bottom, it is the breather tube, and connects to a nipple on the back of the air filter rear box.