Kohler 17.5 Exhuast running cherry red

Uncleginger

Forum Newbie
Threads
I got a L110 John Deere with a Kohler 17.5 Command in it. It has been sitting for four years collecting dust so I figured I would get it out. I drained the gas and changed the oil, new battery, When I first turned it over, it flooded. So I cleaned the carb. It started up but kept shutting off narrowed that down to the damn anti back fire solenoid on the carb. Removed it replaced it with a screw starts runs now the exhaust is glowing cherry red and when I say red I mean you could forge weld kind of red. My gut tells me it's a stuck exhaust valve but I figured I would ask the masses to see what you think.

Lawn Addict
Threads
my .02 If it was a stuck open ex valve, engine would run like crap, since it couldn't build good compression.

I would pull the spark plug & read it, if it is extremely white (LEAN) then you may have an intake leak at the intake to engine seals.

Bad Leak will make it so lean that it could burn the valves etc.

BIB_KID

Forum Newbie
Threads
Lean mixture or late timing

primerbulb120

Threads
Just a guess, but there might be some blockage in the muffler as well.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Replacing the solenoid with a screw is your problem. You have now created a very lean running condition, which will very soon lead to very expensive problems.