polan pro only runs with brake on!

cr999

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am new here and wondering if anyone can help.
I have an old pOULAN PRO that I recently purchased. It had problem with the governor and I pulled the engine and removed the oil pan to rest the gear that had fallenof the shaft. sdput it back together and now it only runs if brake is on. If I release brake or engage the electric clutch it dies.
The seat switch has been bypassed. It has the reverse switch on the gear shift which seems to be working correctly.
Something in the electrical system is killing the engine when either the brake or clutch is engaged. I have cheked the ignition switch and the brake switch and both seem to be working correctly. I am out of ideas and would appreciate any help or suggestions you guys might have.
Need to find an answer soon as the grass is growing rapidly. Thanks for reading.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move your thread over to our Poulan section to see if we can get you some advice.

NorthBama

Threads
you need to post the engine model number and also the mower model number so members can find the wiring diagram. With out numbers it is a guess

cr999

Forum Newbie
Threads
this is a Poulan Pro model no. DB1845 zyt it has a kouler cv15s engine spec no. 41587. hope this helps.

NorthBama

Threads
should be a number like 96022000701 under the seat

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I am new here and wondering if anyone can help.
I have an old pOULAN PRO that I recently purchased. It had problem with the governor and I pulled the engine and removed the oil pan to rest the gear that had fallenof the shaft. sdput it back together and now it only runs if brake is on. If I release brake or engage the electric clutch it dies.
The seat switch has been bypassed. It has the reverse switch on the gear shift which seems to be working correctly.
Something in the electrical system is killing the engine when either the brake or clutch is engaged. I have cheked the ignition switch and the brake switch and both seem to be working correctly. I am out of ideas and would appreciate any help or suggestions you guys might have.
Need to find an answer soon as the grass is growing rapidly. Thanks for reading.

No doubt that the previous dope had looked at Farce Book or EWE Tube and like a lot of the other joker sheep has attempted to disconnect the seat switch to prove how smart they are.
The fix is going to be a PIA as the safety switch system is quite complicated with several different circuits that run in parrallel.
To make things worse most of the switches in the safety circuits are double switches, they all look the same but they are not.
There is a circuit that goes from the magneto to the seat switch via the brake switch
There is a circuit that goes from the magneto to the PTO switch via the brake switch
There is a circuit that goes from the magneto to the ignition switch.
They are all ground circuits that end up grounding the magneto kill wire.
Disconnect the magneto kill switch and check that it goes open circuit with the ignition turned off , brake on & someone sitting in the seat.
If the seat switch is disconnected , reconnect it.
If you have the open bladed type of seat switch, if that is connected the wrong way it will ground out the coil in both open & closed positions.

cr999

Forum Newbie
Threads
model number is 960 120 02 900