MTD 136M675G192

Dan1129

Threads
Mower deck would not disengage blades while disengaged. Replaced deck brakes and deck belt. Seemed to work but will running idle for couple minutes you can see the deck pulleys slightly starting to spin while disengaged. And then smoke and burnt rubber smell from the pto shaft pulley area? Also while disengaged (R) side only the belt it rubbing on the mower deck slightly? Any help be appreciated. Dan

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On your mower the whole system works backwards.
The PTO lever pulls against a spring when disengaging the blades.
Over time all the linkages flog out oval so the lever does not move the deck foreward far enough to give the belt enough slack to allow the blade brake to stop the blades turning.
If the belt has been smoking, it will now be wrecked and will need to be replaced but keep it for that "emergency spare "
Follow the PTO lever back and you will see an adjustment on it.
yours need to be adjusted to push the deck further foreward when in the dissengaged position to give the belt some more slack.

Dan1129

Threads
On your mower the whole system works backwards.
The PTO lever pulls against a spring when disengaging the blades.
Over time all the linkages flog out oval so the lever does not move the deck foreward far enough to give the belt enough slack to allow the blade brake to stop the blades turning.
If the belt has been smoking, it will now be wrecked and will need to be replaced but keep it for that "emergency spare "
Follow the PTO lever back and you will see an adjustment on it.
yours need to be adjusted to push the deck further foreward when in the dissengaged position to give the belt some more slack.

Thanks a lot Bert. It's a rod connected to disengage lever I've slightly made it shorter by the adjustment and yet to test it out as now with a new battery after a couple starts it's dead. So now tryin to scratch my head on this. Haha.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks a lot Bert. It's a rod connected to disengage lever I've slightly made it shorter by the adjustment and yet to test it out as now with a new battery after a couple starts it's dead. So now tryin to scratch my head on this. Haha.

Yes you can spend a whole day and several batteries worth of power getting it exactly right.
Not a big fan of this set up and sometimes I still have to fit a longer belt to allow enough slack to stop while maintaining enough tension to cut.
Good thing is the local Mens Shed has a really good welder so I can drop off all the linkages and get them to weld the holes back up & machine them round again for a couple of old mowers for them to fix & sell
The local MTD dealer charges $ 120 to adjust the belt tension and $ 650 to replace all of the linkages to fix the problem.
I fit a 1" to 3" longer belt.
Easy for me as I have around 300 belts in stock but a touch expensive for you as belts are not refundable.