Repairs Honda HRX2173HZA Electric Start Mower

sunnyside

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Honda HRX2173HZA (electric start) lawn mower which is under the 60 month warranty period. The engine runs very erratic and will not idle (stalls). The Honda repair shop says a new carburetor is needed to fix the issue. The tech isn't sure whether Honda will cover the $22 cost for new carb plus $70 labor. Anyone have similar experience with warranty coverage?? I tried calling Honda but was in a wait queue for about an hour until I gave up -- will try again tomorrow.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a Honda HRX2173HZA (electric start) lawn mower which is under the 60 month warranty period. The engine runs very erratic and will not idle (stalls). The Honda repair shop says a new carburetor is needed to fix the issue. The tech isn't sure whether Honda will cover the $22 cost for new carb plus $70 labor. Anyone have similar experience with warranty coverage?? I tried calling Honda but was in a wait queue for about an hour until I gave up -- will try again tomorrow.

Honda's warranty covers factory defective parts only. Most likely, fuel was left in the mower and decayed, gunking up the insides, and that's not a 'factory defect.' It is very common, especially with today's Ethanol fuels. You should ask this dealer if this is the case. A carb can be disassembled and cleaned, but the labor cost to do that exceeds the cost of a new carb. So, a gunked-up carb is cheaper to replace if you don't DIY.