Weed Eater on Wheels

Janie

Threads
Oh, I've seen those! I thought they were a great idea but I'm glad I found this review. I'd rather not get something I would just wind up returning. I haven't ever seen one of them except on TV, I guess that's the best place for it to stay then huh?:laughing:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
most of those as seen on TV ... don't work as seen on tv ... KennyV

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Oh, I've seen those on TV, I guess that's the best place for it to stay then huh?:laughing:

most of those as seen on TV ... don't work as seen on tv ... :frown: KennyV

jeepnjim

Threads
I have a Swisher and it works very well after slight modification. I put larger wheels on it so it rolls e.asier in rough terain and instead of looping the line back through itself I installed small bolts w/builtin washers just infront of the string loop. All that is required to hold the line. Works best in rough ground, to cumbersome for fine trimming in the yard.

JIM

Bush Trimmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a DR self-propelled model and I love it! Used it three seasons now and no problems at all.

noma

Threads
hay rockhound

Have you look at one of those cordless one rechargable ,i'm not sure how much they weight but i think there are some pretty good ones out there. That"s what i'm looking at next, tried of pulling that dam string and my old one does not start. I guess i depends on how much trimming you have to do, and if the battery will stay charged for that long of time.Could get more battery i guess

tugboatphil

Threads
They are great machines for the right job. I used to cut grass at abandoned properties for mortgage companies. When going in to a yard with 3-4 ft tall grass I'd tip my push mower up and take it down a bit at a time. Eventually I'd get snagged in a dog chain left on the ground and finally one day I hit a tire iron that went flying about 10 ft.

This was the late 90s and the only one I could find was a Troy Bilt for almost $800. Since it was a business purchase and tax deduction I could justify it. It worked great but that thing was heavy as they could possibly make it.

I sold that one and got an Ariens at Home Depot. Can't remember the price but it was about half or more what the Troy Bilt was. Much lighter, easier to re-string and more maneuverable. Failed to mention that the cutting string on these are .155. Not much they won't cut.

There is now a very small Weed Eater. I got it for my Mom back in West Virginia to clear her fence line. She hated it and gave it to my sister. Not sure where it is now.

All that said, I can't see why you'd want one for regular trimming, with the exception being what you said about your back. You might want to give the Weed Eater a look if you really want to keep doing the work yourself. It really is much different than the others on the market.

Semiretired

Threads
I found one of the "Weed eater on wheels" at a yard sale 2 years ago. It wasn't running and the guy wanted $10 for it. I offered $5 and brought it home, cleaned the air filter & carb, cleaned re-gapped the plug, put fresh fuel in it , and fired it right up. It's light weight, strings easy to change, and it does a great job.I really don't know what the guys complaining about it giving them a sore back is all about. The hand held units will give you a backache far sooner than this will. As far as the strings breaking, I don't know of any trimmers that won't break the string when you run it up against a fencepost or chainlink fence. They're made to trim grass & weeds, not steel and stone. My wheeled Weedeater has a guard on the left side to keep the string away from such obstacles. Swishers and other large trimmers are way heavier, bulkier, and thus harder to handle and harder on your back. My Weedeater isn't hardly much heavier than the hand held units and I don't have to carry it around.

Colestine

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, all. This is my first post here, and I'm going to provide "equal time for opposing viewpoints." Years ago I bought the first High Wheel Trimmer that Sears sold. It had a 5hp Tecumsa engine and used that thick trimmer line. I had ten acres with a fair amount of fence and some uneven terrain. That thing was amazing. It was actually pretty light, and you had to learn not to whack the fence ('cause yes, it will eat your line). I also had a weed whacker, but unless the grade was steep I preferred the "robo goat," as it came to be called. It recently stopped running and could not be resuscitated by my attempt at a carb rebuild. I need that machine to work again! For me, it's easier on the back than my Tanaka line trimmer.

From somewhere in the wilds of southern Oregon,

Mark LaCoste

Colestine

Forum Newbie
Threads
Semiretired, that's been my experience, too. I'll add a bit more in defense of RoboGoats, too. Unlike my really old model, most make it very easy to change out the line, and if you have tough vegetation (like our dang Star Thistle) you push right through it in one pass! As far as rocks go, I've found them very forgiving.

I'm gonna drop my RoboGoat off at the "professional" mower place during the off season. I miss it.

-ml