Dixie Chopper XT3300 stalling after a few minutes running

iamno1

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Dixie Chopper XT3300 stalling after a few minutes running
What a great lawn mower that has provided very few issues over the years of ownership . . . . . . however yesterday while my wife was mowing the lawn the mower just died on her. She left it where it stopped and when I got home I was able to get it started but I could tell that the engine was struggling as it revved up and revved down as if the fuel supply was fluctuating or air was getting in the fuel line somehow.

If it's not evident yet it would eventually be very apparent that I'm not a mechanic and there is only so much maintenance I can perform on this beast. I do change the oil and filter at least once per year and replace and sharpen the blades twice a year but for the most part that is the extent of my knowledge on this mower. Oh I did check the air filter to ensure that it was not clogged but it was relatively new and clean.

A couple of notes. Right before my wife started to do the lawn I filled the tanks up and I noticed when I went to get the stalled mower that I had filled the one tank to the very top which I normally would not do. It was fresh gas and I was just topping off anyway so she could do the lawn without stopping. The other thing I noticed is that one of the fuel lines under the right tank leaked a little when I was feeling around underneath. Not sure if this means anything but thought I would mention.

Any ideas or advice would be appreciated. I called the dealer in town here in Farmington, MO and he was going to call me back but that was 6 hours ago and I stopped holding my breath.

Thanks,

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does it have a fuel filter? If so, how many hours on it?

Some engine information never hurts. Make, model, etc.

iamno1

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's the generac 30HP on an XT3300 60" mower. Yes it does have a fuel filter was just now sure how easy it was to replace. Looks easy but did not know if I need to drain both tanks first or if I could somehow squeeze the fuel line while I snapped in a new filter.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm not familiar with that engine, although they all basically work the same.

You can test whether it's the fuel filter or not by first removing the spark plug wires, then removing the fuel line from the carburetor, putting it into a container of some sort, like a Mason jar, and have someone crank the engine. If fuel squirts into the jar, the fuel pump and filter are ruled out.

That's the only simple fuel test I know. It may turn out that the problem is electrical. Hopefully someone with knowledge of the Generac engine will be able to help.