Repairs Need help what size motor do I have

Bobbycobb

Forum Newbie
Threads
Please give me some advice on a "head scratcher"...
I have the typical craftsman "gas in oil problem" well to give a little inside view of my situation...
I've had the lawn mower/tractor for going on our second summer togethter well, when I bought it,I knew I had to crank it by the old screwdriver on the silond trick. AND SHUT
OFF GAS when done mowing yard. Well guys this brings me too my problem and part of my question. I didn't shut off the gas (more than one occasion) so I'm at the point of rebuilding the carburetor (I know now that I have a Walbro LMT 5-4993)
Here's the issue I want to rewire the motor and too purchase future parts......but on the side of the lawn tractor it clearly shows 18.5 hp. But the dust cover says 12.5 :mad:
I'm at my wits end please help

Bobbycobb

Forum Newbie
Threads
The dust cover that is on top of the motor says it is a 12.5 but the side of the motor says 18.5. The metal tag goes to the 12.5 hp information. What I'm asking is how can I identity the motor without having identification numbers

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Did you look on that website I posted? From the Sears number that has to be on the tractor somewhere, you should be able to figure out what engine it has.

Briggs engines have ID numbers stamped into them somewhere. Look close.

NorthBama

Threads
look under the seat for mower model number

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
As far as the starter solenoid go's it really doesn't matter seeing they are all alike. Either you have a 3 or 4 post starter solenoid. You can find that model carburetor on E-Bay. ` Without model numbers, tractor or engine it would be very hard to know what you have. Just from what you have said it sounds to me like it might of got cobbled some where alone in its life??

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
It would be a HUGE help to folks here trying to help ... if you could post CLOSE-UP photos of the numbers you have found ,,,

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It would be a HUGE help to folks here trying to help ... if you could post CLOSE-UP photos of the numbers you have found ,,,

And it does not mattter much what carb you put on the mower, just so long as the control rods line up.
IF the carb is too big, it will take the governor a second longer to adjust the engine speed.
If the B & S numbers on the metal tag ricited to the blower housing says it is a 12,5 Hp then that is what it is.
Hp means less than nothing to parts suppliers it all works around that engine Model-Type & code numbers.
There are a dozen totally different engines that are all 12.5 Hp.

If you are still in doubt, take the carb to a mower repair workshop ( one where the service department is as big as the showroom and they have a range of used mowers for sale ).