Cub Cadet LTX 1050VT (pre-2009) mower solenoid

dahermit

Threads
In the last couple of days my solenoid for the mower deck has stated to jump to off (stopping the mower belt and blades) when mowing. I have to stop, push in the solenoid switch, and pull it out again to get it to engage. What are the usual suspects in this condition? I am 74 and too old to do a lot of experimenting, so I would appreciate some suggestions as to what to look for, etc.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Possible suspects in order of what I think is the problem is:
1. PTO air gap not correct
2. PTO switch
3. Voltage output to low
4. PTO bad

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
2. PTO switch
3. Voltage output to low
4. PTO bad

Things must be very quiet for you answering a post from 2012

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I read it as 05-22-2017, 12:11 PM My time at least.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Opps looks like that nice big glass of port was affecting my vision.

dahermit

Threads
2. PTO switch
3. Voltage output to low
4. PTO bad

Addendum: Inasmuch as the PTO kicks out when the mower is at a steep lateral angle (or sometimes a slight rise in the ground that rocks the mower deck), I suspected that the interlock switch under the seat may be going bad. However, after swapping it out, the problem persists.

Also, not that it has any bearing on the problem, the battery went bad and I replaced it.

Further, although it may be just a red herring, the problem with the PTO kicking out when mowing started when I ran over a stick that jammed and shredded my mower deck belt. I replaced the belt, then the kicking out of the PTO started.

Looking through the LTX Professional Repair Manual, I find that there is no index which would allow me to find how to set the air gap on the PTO. If someone can direct me to where that is covered in the manual I would be most appreciative.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited: