TORO 20032 hard to start when hot

deminin

Threads
I have a 6 year old Toro 20032 Personal Pace mower, with a B&S 6.75 HP engine that I use to mow the smaller areas, and around the trees, before I get on the Husqvarna riding mower to do the rest of the yard. The Toro has been great, and usually starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull. but this year, I notice that if I mow for a few minutes, then stop the mower for more than a minute or two, it is very hard to restart...have to pull the rope a dozen times, or more. I've replaced the plug, but I think the engine is trying to flood when it gets hot, and shuts down. If I let it set for 30 minutes or more, it starts back up easily. I suspected a carburetor problem, so I bought a new carb, and put it on a couple of weeks ago, but I am still having the problem. Any ideas of what I might try next??

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds to me like your coil is breaking down due to heat. Check for spark when hot starting, no spark replace coil.

deminin

Threads
Sounds to me like your coil is breaking down due to heat. Check for spark when hot starting, no spark replace coil.

Thanks for mentioning the coil...I'll check that out later this week when it's time to mow again. I did pull the engine cover, and check for any dirt buildup, and I checked the gap on the coil...it was set at about .008". I pulled the plug a few days ago, when it wouldn't start, and the plug didn't appear to be wet, so this may well be an ignition problem rather than flooding.

TobyU

Threads
If that has the ready start with no primer bulb it is common for them to be out of adjustment or stick some.
The heat riser arm on behind the muffler has an adjustment to it to hold the choke arm open so it won't flood on hot start.

deminin

Threads

There is a small engine repair shop about 5 miles away, and I stopped by there yesterday, and he had a used coil that fit my engine, and he only wanted $10 for it. I swapped the coil this morning, ran the mower for about 30 minutes, then let is sit for 10. When I went to restart it, it fired up on the 1st pull. I ran it for a few minutes, again, let is set for a few minutes, and it fired right up again....SO, it looks like the old coil was most likely the culprit...Thanks for mentioning that.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Your Welcome. Suggestion, go back to the repair shop, to say THANKS, with a box of ice cream bars on the first hot day in your area. You'll make yourself a great friend and he will know a good deed does not go unnoticed.

Firebird2

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a toro 20039 personal pace rough running and a whooping sound, I found the flywheel key sheared(fixed), A hole in the head gasket (fixed), cleaned carb, starts but stalls and is hard starting very frustrating, come to find out the wrong primer bulb was replaced with a solid bulb and not the correct one with a hole in it p/n 694395 used on non adjustable carbs, it now starts on the first pull ?