Ryobi 4 cycle power head(using pole saw attachment) tries to go dead.

scottyboy24

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Ryobi 4 cycle power head(using pole saw attachment) tries to go dead.
Please help! This little RYOBI S430,4 cycle engine cranks and runs great until you tilt it upward to cut small limbs off of a tree. I have checked what I initially thought it may be to make sure the fuel tank hose was not coming out of the fuel when tilted but that's not the case. I don't know what else to look into? Any ideas? Thx!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Usually this will be a crack in the fuel pick up line .
And mostly it is just where it goes through the grommet.

scottyboy24

Forum Newbie
Threads
Usually this will be a crack in the fuel pick up line .
And mostly it is just where it goes through the grommet.

Thanks a bunch! That sounds like you nailed it! I will check it today and let you know, but since it only happens when tilted I think you;re right. I thought about making sure the end of the hose was not coming out of the fuel but didn't think about a cracked line. duh! Thanks for your help!

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Also seeing it is a 4 cycle it could be you are tilting it to where the oil is too low in the chamber making it turn off to save the engine. I would never buy a 4 cycle trimmer. Just not designed to keep oil where it will lubracate the unit.

scottyboy24

Forum Newbie
Threads
Also seeing it is a 4 cycle it could be you are tilting it to where the oil is too low in the chamber making it turn off to save the engine. I would never buy a 4 cycle trimmer. Just not designed to keep oil where it will lubracate the unit.

Just wanted to let you know that fixed it. Replaced the line and the filter cut a bunch of limbs down, now somethings wrong with the dang pull start rope!
The rope itself is not broke but it just pulls out and goes back in w/o turning the engine over. So I guess the crankshaft or whatever you call it is broken on the inside?
Any tips for the easiest way to get at it??
I am off now to find a schematic to see how it comes apart.
Thx!