5hp Tecumseh binds when pulling start rope on MTD trimmer

fredo

Threads
  • / 5hp Tecumseh binds when pulling start rope on MTD trimmer
Just acquired a 2004 5 HP model 1F1144H Tecumseh on a Yard Machines trimmer model 25A203L729.
When I pull the start rope the first time it was very hard to pull. I kept pulling several times and it finally got easier, now it sometimes hard to pull in one spot. It seems like the engine binds sometimes and other times not.
What would cause this? It will not start as of yet and I haven't checked the fuel and spark yet, but I am concerned that maybe it might have internal engine issues.
Thanks

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Remove the spark plug and pull the starter rope. All problems will become apparent while you are pulling. Listen closely for unusual sounds.

fredo

Threads
Remove the spark plug and pull the starter rope. All problems will become apparent while you are pulling. Listen closely for unusual sounds.

I removed the spark plug and pulled the start rope, I then noticed oil splashing out of the spark plug hole. Oil must be getting past the rings is my guess. Any other opinions?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check you oil lever and let us know where it is.

fredo

Threads
Check you oil lever and let us know where it is.

The oil level is at normal. I took a compression test and it is at 110lbs.
Is it possible that the trimmer was tipped over and got oil in the cylinder that way? If so, how do I get the oil out of the cylinder so it doesn't keep getting the plug wet?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
It is possible to have gotten oil in the piston chamber when tipped over. I would pul the starter cord 20 or so times as fast and hard as you can till you do not see oil coming out anymore. Replace plug and see what happens.

fredo

Threads
Well I found the carb was full of rust and the gas tank was full of water. I cleaned out the gas tank and replaced the carb with a new one, but didn't think to mark the linkage when I took it off. Now I am having a difficult time figuring out how the linkage goes back on. When I install the linkage the way I have it in the pictures the throttle cable binds up. Need tips or advice. I have attached pictures, Thankss

Tec.jpgtec2.jpgtec3.jpgtec4.jpgtec5.jpg