Oil Leak on Ferris?

totouchantler

Threads
Hi all. I have posted questions here in the past with excellent feedback from all of you. I noticed I had some fresh oil streams (light) around the block of my commercial Briggs motor today... I tried to trace back to the source. The only thing I can seem to come up with as the source is the flexible oil drain hose where it enters the engine block. I can see fresh oil right underneath it where it terminates and enters the engine block. I also noticed the rubber crimp fitting that attaches to the hose has damp marks (oil?). Any ideas? Thanks in advance..... ill try to post some pics.

Chris

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is a rubber grommet between the dip stick & the sump on some models and an O ring on others.
Both of which are normal service replacement items that good shops do but home mechanics always overlook.

Run the engine for 10 minutes or more or just mow the lawn.
When you have finished, turn the engine off, wait for 30 seconds then remove the dip stick.
If you get oily smoke coming out the head gasket is on its way out.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Tighten the hose a little.

Lbutler225

Threads
Any ideas?
I have the same mower....had the same leak....thought it was the oil drain hose....tried to unscrew it to check it out ...was impossible to unsrew...my leak ended up being the sump gasket. had to pull the engine and replace gasket....

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The thread is a UPT ( unified pipe tapered ) so it becomes self sealing when tightened.
When fitted with the extension tube they oft put sealant in there and do it up really tight so it does not leak or undo when you drain the oil.
Check that the engine breather reed valve is working by blowing & sucking on the breather tube ( yum yum :licking:)

brandon7171

Threads
I have the same mower....had the same leak....thought it was the oil drain hose....tried to unscrew it to check it out ...was impossible to unsrew...my leak ended up being the sump gasket. had to pull the engine and replace gasket....

Hi. Ok I took mine to shop today and he replaced my oil drain tube well got it home and put 24 mins on and still same place it was leaking. I only have 5hours on my ferris so I was wondering if mine has a oil sump gasket? Also my ferris model is Is600 48" cut. Motor is a 18.5hp.

Last edited: