Fuel Delivery Problems with Briggs Vanguard 14 hp Twin

lynndm

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Fuel Delivery Problems with Briggs Vanguard 14 hp Twin
My Encore Hydrostatic Mower with a Briggs Vanguard 14 hp twin has been sitting for a couple of years and I'm trying to get it running again. The engine runs by jumping from the positive battery terminal to the starter and spraying ether into the carburetor. It's got a vacuum operated fuel pump on it. My question is: Does the fuel pump operate off engine compression? If I pull the plugs to turn the engine over faster to see if it's pumping fuel, will that work or will that kill the vacuum that operates the fuel pump? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Lynn

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Fuel Delivery Problems with Briggs Vanguard 14 hp Twin
My Encore Hydrostatic Mower with a Briggs Vanguard 14 hp twin has been sitting for a couple of years and I'm trying to get it running again. The engine runs by jumping from the positive battery terminal to the starter and spraying ether into the carburetor. It's got a vacuum operated fuel pump on it. My question is: Does the fuel pump operate off engine compression? If I pull the plugs to turn the engine over faster to see if it's pumping fuel, will that work or will that kill the vacuum that operates the fuel pump? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Lynn

Yes pump works from pressure pulses, it has a diaphragm with a light spring on it but the high pressure created as the piston compresses the crankcase gasses push the diaphragm one way and visa versa as the piston goes up.
If you put a long tube on the outlet it should pump fuel about 1'.

And yes pull the tube off at the carb and crank the engine with the tube in a plastic soda bottle, make sure you ground the plugs and keep the plugs away from the gas particularly on a hot day.
You really should pull the carb off and clean it out, it will be gummed up.
When you buy the new gaskets , get an in line fuel tap so you can shut the fuel supply off to the carb and leave the float bowl empty for long term storeage ( more than a month ).

If you need a manual they are available on line for free all over the place
I use K & T site and out of grattitude for hosting all those manuals , buy some parts from them as well. http://www.mymowerparts.com/about_us.php