Need Help Getting Powerhorse Magneto Off

Kitchen_Mechanic

Forum Newbie
Threads
This engine is from a Powerhorse 2000W inverter generator and I am having difficulty getting the magneto off undamaged. Northern Tool sells the generator but their service personnel said they don't know how to remove it with any tools they are aware of. Their mechanic spent about an hour yesterday trying to get it off with no success. The engine was apparently made in China and there isn't a service manual. The magneto is pressed on very tight and using a large jaw gear puller on it would likely bend it, plus the plastic fan part behind the spokes interferes with getting the jaws in place. I tried to pull it off with a steering wheel puller that had narrow legs that fit between the plastic fan blades but when I pulled really hard the cleats marred the spokes to the point they wouldn't hold. On the magnetos center iron hub there are threads for a motorcycle style flywheel puller but none of the 40 or so pullers on the market will fit it. A 27mm puller with 1.0 internal threads would likely fit it but nobody sells a puller like that. The generator works, just burns oil and needs new rings, so I would rather not make it inoperable which is what it would be if I cut out the plastic fan part much. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 10

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would drill and tap what I have circled in red on the picture then run bolts in them to push on the back cover. With that being said I would really want some sort of metal to push against because the cact metal of the back cove would break easy.
Powerhorse.jpg

Kitchen_Mechanic

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the idea, that just might work. Those red circles you drew in are over the bolt holes for the bolts holding the fan on. I have considered unscrewing those bolts from the back, but to get to the bolts to unscrew them with a wrench I would have to cut out a large part of the foundation of the fan making it very weak or ruining it.

I don't have a drill press and I am not sure I can drill out those bolts without damaging the bolt hole threads. But I could possibly reattach the fan with nuts and bolts.

I have seen a video where similar fan bolt holes were used to attach a bar and pull the magneto of a Honda generator. Whether the treads in the Powerhorse magneto are strong enough to complete the pull, I am unconvinced.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is it possible to get a nut that screws onto those 27mm threads and then use the puller to pull on the nut.

Kitchen_Mechanic

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is it possible to get a nut that screws onto those 27mm threads and then use the puller to pull on the nut.
I thought about trying a 27mm nut. I think the thread pitch is 1.0, possibly 1.25. I was not able to find a 27mm nut in either of those pitches. A 27mm tap is available but it is really expensive. Thanks.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Are you sure it is 27mm I found several pullers that were 26mm 1.0 pitch

Kitchen_Mechanic

Forum Newbie
Threads
Are you sure it is 27mm I found several pullers that were 26mm 1.0 pitch

I have spoken to several puller makers, Heartland Products and DSS Inc., and they say the size puller that would fit based on the micrometer measurements would be a 27mm internal thread if someone made that size, but nobody does. My micrometer says the outside diameter of the threads on the magneto are 26.7~mm and the threads are RH and apparently 1.0 pitch. Also, 26.7mm is closest to matching the ISO standard for 27mm threads, www.engineersedge.com/hardware/metric-external-thread-sizes2.htm . Despite what the puller makers are telling me, I would try to screw on a 26mm if I had one and I have considered ordering one just to make sure. Thanks.

013 modified.jpg

Last edited: