Please recommend proper starting procedure for Stihl FS 40C trimmer

doolan

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Please recommend proper starting procedure for Stihl FS 40C trimmer
Hello All! When new, my dealer recommended me to pump bulp 2 or 3 times, choke for no more than 2 pulls, then continue when machine has been idle. This worked

for three years. This year had new plug, filter, etc. done and it started when I brought it home. Today wore my self out trying numerous times. How do you start your

Stihl trimmers, especially my model if you have one? Don't know if I flooded it or what. Should one use half-choke in warm (88 degree) weather? Thank you for your

suggestions.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have always started two cycle engines the same way. Brand doesn't matter; device (trimmer, chainsaw) doesn't matter either.

1. Prime with bulb. (if it has one)

2. Ignition on, full choke, full throttle.

3. Pull until it fires. It will usually not stay running.

3. Move choke to "off." Full throttle.

4. Pull again.

doolan

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have always started two cycle engines the same way. Brand doesn't matter; device (trimmer, chainsaw) doesn't matter either.

1. Prime with bulb. (if it has one)

2. Ignition on, full choke, full throttle.

3. Pull until it fires. It will usually not stay running.

3. Move choke to "off." Full throttle.

4. Pull again.

Thank You Sir!

Dealer never mentioned throttle at all. Shall try your prescription and report back.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
With some things, like chainsaws, the choke advances the throttle, too. When I wrote that, I was thinking of a small Poulan chainsaw. With that saw, I can pull the starter rope with my left hand and hold it and work the throttle with my right hand. With the bigger saw, I can't do that. It has too much compression and I have to pull with my right hand. But the choke advances the throttle on it.

doolan

Forum Newbie
Threads

doolan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks to both of you, for your help! After reviewing the manual again, I noticed they mentioned don't touch the trigger or the "LOCKOUT" when pulling cord. What does

the lockout do? Is it a "safety" for the trigger, or does it short the plug for some reason?

What I meant to say is, of course it's a trigger safety. I do depress the lockout, because I get a better grip by grabbing it there. Tried all suggestions, no luck. Anyway, will drain gas out and pull till sure it's bone dry, refill and bring to dealer again. Will let you know and thanks again.

doolan

Forum Newbie
Threads
What I meant to say is, of course it's a trigger safety. I do depress the lockout, because I get a better grip by grabbing it there. Tried all suggestions, no luck. Anyway, will drain gas out and pull till sure it's bone dry, refill and bring to dealer again. Will let you know and thanks again.

OK...picked up and installed new air and gas filters, but also fresh quart of the canned gas. Put in fresh gas and fired right up. Again...thanks for your suggestions!