My Scag quit running after 10.8 hours

texasvet

Threads
Hello All,

A few months ago, I purchased a Cheetah. I haven't used it much as it only has 10.8 hours on it. I was mowing a few days ago and it started mis-firing and then quit.

I checked for fire: Good.
I checked for fuel: Good.
I checked the air filter: Good.
I put a squirt of fuel in the carb and spun the starter: NO GOOD!!!

So, with nothing else left to do, I pulled the plugs and they looked awful. Dark black everywhere.

I put new plugs in and it took off running great.

So, I visited the local shop that I purchased the Cheetah at and the only idea that they could come up with was that since my back one acre is very bumpy, maybe I was bouncing the carburetor float around and the fuel/air ratio was pooched. I don't know about that one. Also, I typically run it at full throttle.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
John

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
What engine?

Choke opening all the way?

I'm not buying the 'bouncing' theory unless your property is substantially rougher than normal. Everybody's mowers get bounced, especially zero turns because they go so fast.

texasvet

Threads
My choke & throttle cables seem fine and the choke opens all the way.

The engine is a 27hp Kawasaki

Thanks

RDA.Lawns

Threads
Why are you working on a new mower??? That thing has warranty!!!!

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I guess the test is to mow on some smooth ground and then re-check the spark plugs.

I'll bet they will still show an over-rich condition.

Any other Scag dealers in the area you can talk to?

mcdonell

Threads
I assume the cylinders, rings, valves, look like your old spark plugs. If the plugs are oil fouled, I assume the motor is smoking and using oil too. I would want to contact Scag and get them involved. Sounds like your dealer is not interested in checking it out for you.

My Cheetah also has the 27 hp Kawasaki. It has about 110 hours and it still has the original spark plugs. It does not smoke or use oil. The motor only holds slightly over two quarts so I keep a close eye on it. Wonder if someone over filled your engine oil? I use 40 wt synthetic oil and change it more often than is required. It is easy and only two quarts.

Best wishes and please keep us posted. Your issue may be mine tomorrow.

mcdonell

Threads
Hey Texas Vet, Texas is a big State but are you close to DFW area?

I feel certain my dealer would have investigated the problem under warranty. One reason I choose Scag because I was impressed with the Burleson Outdoor Power Equipment Operations Manager, Wayne Shamblin. He runs the place and has treated me well.

Wayne Shamblin
wayne@burlesonoutdoorpower.com

Address: 625 E Renfro St, Burleson, TX 76028
Phone: (817) 295-5800

http://www.burlesonoutdoorpower.com/

RDA.Lawns

Threads
Any Kawasaki dealer would be able to do warranty work on the engine. They have 3 year warranty I'd be taking it somewhere.

texasvet

Threads
Thanks all,

There were two reasons that I needed to look at it.

The first was because it was about to pour at my house and I couldn't find the levers that need to be turned on the drive motors to tow it into my garage. I'm sure that the Scag is tough, but I didn't want to mix water & metal.

The second was because I don't have a trailer to load it on to take it to the dealer.

I did talk to the dealer today and he said that they would come and get it for no charge if the plugs foul again.

I ran it today for over an hour and it ran great with the new plugs. No smoke and my oil is still looking good with no loss.

Thanks,
Texasvet

mcdonell

Threads
Thanks all,

There were two reasons that I needed to look at it.

The first was because it was about to pour at my house and I couldn't find the levers that need to be turned on the drive motors to tow it into my garage. I'm sure that the Scag is tough, but I didn't want to mix water & metal.

The second was because I don't have a trailer to load it on to take it to the dealer.

I did talk to the dealer today and he said that they would come and get it for no charge if the plugs foul again.

I ran it today for over an hour and it ran great with the new plugs. No smoke and my oil is still looking good with no loss.

Thanks,
Texasvet

Where are the levers to tow the Scag Cheetah?
My dealer will pickup and deliver for $25 each way. I ended up buying a 6x10 ramped trailer so I could haul it myself. The bad thing is I have no excuse for not mowing for people in serious need. :smile: