Scag turf tiger PTO won't engage, not a clutch problem

Bill32

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Scag turf tiger PTO won't engage, not a clutch problem
The mower is a scag turf tiger, 1000 hrs on it, Kawasaki 29.0 FR791D motor.

Cutting deck shutdown during mowing. Mower will run and everything else seems to be fine. Here is what I have done to diagnosis problem.

1. Removed PTO switch and checked its function with circuit tester, OK
2. Put a jumper to the PTO clutch at its harness, it closes OK.
3. Tested 20 amp fuse to PTO, OK
4. Tested cable from PTO switch to deck switch, OK
5. I did find a frayed powder cable from battery connection to PTO switch, replaced, made no difference.

Not sure what to check next. Don't have a manual so I don't know if there is any other fuses somewhere. Concerned that maybe the frayed cable fried something in the PCM computer, but see no evidence of arcing or other overheating on any wires or modules.

Thanks,
Bill

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Scag turf tiger PTO won't engage, not a clutch problem
The mower is a scag turf tiger, 1000 hrs on it, Kawasaki 29.0 FR791D motor.

Cutting deck shutdown during mowing. Mower will run and everything else seems to be fine. Here is what I have done to diagnosis problem.

1. Removed PTO switch and checked its function with circuit tester, OK
2. Put a jumper to the PTO clutch at its harness, it closes OK.
3. Tested 20 amp fuse to PTO, OK
4. Tested cable from PTO switch to deck switch, OK
5. I did find a frayed powder cable from battery connection to PTO switch, replaced, made no difference.

Not sure what to check next. Don't have a manual so I don't know if there is any other fuses somewhere. Concerned that maybe the frayed cable fried something in the PCM computer, but see no evidence of arcing or other overheating on any wires or modules.

Thanks,
Bill

1) you need to check the PTO switch under load, not with a meter I use an old clutch or a car headlamp globe
2) did you jump both the + & Ground ?
3) fine
4)Again it needs to be tested with a load from one pin to the other, from battery + to ground pin & battery - to + pin this eliminates a ba ground wire.

When testing the clutch, engage it then walk away for an hour and see if it is still engaged, when they start to get on, the heat up over time then drop out.