At My Wits End

suggsd

Threads
I have a 11 hp Briggs/Stratton engine on a log splitter and it is not running . I have checked flywheel key ,checked valves for operation , looked at piston and cylinder walls ,they looked great , compression is 120 psi , squirted gas in carb and all I get is "put" , checked for spark with spark plug out next to head and goes orange to white on spark . I don't know what is wrong with this thing . Can anyone point me in the right direction . I need some relief .

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
First I would replace spark plug and fuel filter, Then check valve lash. Remove all fuel from tank and fuel lines. If you have air compressor the blow out fuel lines. While at auto parts store for spark plug get some starter fluid. After you replace spark plug squirt a little starter fluid in the carb and see if it starts. If it starts then use a little more to see if you can keep it running. If you can the you need to remove and clean carb.
Dirty carb
Down and dirty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBL-BUj0c6E
More technical: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAk_WDt3AD8

Pumper54

Threads
Adding to what BlazNT said, make sure you are using fresh gas as most of today's fuel goes bad real quick. Insure that the fuel line is clear and that the petcock (if any) is turned ON and that the air filter is clean and as required. Good luck and let us know how it goes. So many folks come on here ask and question or three , get advise and we never hear back from them. We learn something ourselves each time we help someone else.

Tom

suggsd

Threads
Adding to what BlazNT said, make sure you are using fresh gas as most of today's fuel goes bad real quick. Insure that the fuel line is clear and that the petcock (if any) is turned ON and that the air filter is clean and as required. Good luck and let us know how it goes. So many folks come on here ask and question or three , get advise and we never hear back from them. We learn something ourselves each time we help someone else.

Tom

Yeah I get that . Fuel was fresh and even squirted starter fluid and still all I got was "put" . One other thing I forgot to mention and I don't even know if it is relevant . When I was operating log splitter I had to run splitter on part choke position for it to run smoothly . I assumed it wasn't getting enough fuel and was too lean .

Pumper54

Threads
suggsd,

If you have to run with the choke on to get it to run it sound like you have an intake leak. Double check the mounting bolts for the carb and also the manifold. If you can get it to run, spray a bit of WD-40 around the carb/manifold to see if the RPMs change, if they do then you have a leak. If you determine that the carb is bad (it does happen) they are cheap and plentiful on line or at your local mower shop.

Tom

suggsd

Threads
What is the torque and torque sequence for the head ? I removed it the other day just to check everything out like valve action , valve condition and cylinder wall condition . Everything looked great except for a little carbon build-up which I scraped off with my pocket knife . I am really perplexed at what is wrong with this engine that is why I'm at my wits end . I will try a new plug next and see if that does anything .

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Engine model number for that info. First thing you should have done was replace the spark plug.

Pumper54

Threads
Have an older Murray riding mower that had a VERY hard starting issue, changed out the spark plugs and it runs like a top. Put in a new properly gaped plug and see if that help. As for the torques specs we would need more info on the engine. Find the data plate and give the info on it.
Tom

suggsd

Threads
Engine model number for that info. First thing you should have done was replace the spark plug.

I replaced the coil last year and put a known good spark plug and still same result .

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I NEED THE MODEL NUMBER OFF THE ENGINE BEFORE I CAN HELP MORE. Spark plugs are cheap and each engine requires a different gap or heat range. The correct plug needs to be in the engine.