Craftsman 7.25 Platinum - won't start - help please

phnxrsn

Threads
Hi,

New to this site and after looking around a bit, didn't find the help I need ... hopefully, I can explain the issue and get it fixed! As the title states, I own a Craftsman 7.25 Platinum which has been serviced by Sears until last year. This year, I've been using it just fine about three times already and thought I'd go to a 'free' community site to have it serviced. The person checked the spark plug and air filter and sharpened the blade. He sprayed something into the carb that caused it to smoke, but it started and ran. I brought the mower home and started mowing and everything's fine. I stop it to dump the grass and it wouldn't start up again, no turn over no nothing. I checked the spark plug and i think it was swapped because the numbers don't match the manufacture's. Purchased a replacement spark plug no luck. checked the air filter and that was swapped too - purchased a new air filter - no luck still no turn over. I did notice the new spark plug was wet and smelled of gas and oil ... what do I do now? Sorry for the long post - thanks in advance for your help!

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Why not take it back to that free community site and see what they'll do for you?

phnxrsn

Threads
cpurvis - I'm not sure I understand your comment ... are you suggesting I take my lawn mower back to the people who stole my air filter and spark plug to see what else they can do??? It was running just fine before I took it there, I asked them to service the mower and sharpen the blade. Not sure that was reason enough to steal from me?!?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
So this place you took your mower to is in the business of stealing spark plugs and air filters? Sounds very lucrative.

Here's what I'm suggesting:

Take the mower back to the 'free' community site and tell them that you brought your mower in "X" days ago and had work done on it. It had been running fine before they worked on it; now it won't run.

They'll either say, "Let us take a look at it" or they'll tell you to "Get out of here!" and steal the whole lawnmower, in which case you won't be out much.

My guess is they'll say, "Let's take a look at it."

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

Sounds like some bad luck.

I'm going to move this thread over to our Craftsman section to see if anyone over there might be able to help.

phnxrsn

Threads
So this place you took your mower to is in the business of stealing spark plugs and air filters? Sounds very lucrative.

Here's what I'm suggesting:

Take the mower back to the 'free' community site and tell them that you brought your mower in "X" days ago and had work done on it. It had been running fine before they worked on it; now it won't run.

They'll either say, "Let us take a look at it" or they'll tell you to "Get out of here!" and steal the whole lawnmower, in which case you won't be out much.

My guess is they'll say, "Let's take a look at it."

I know right - why would they take an air filter and spark plug?? I watched the guy remove 'my' air filter and it was in pretty good condition with a little discoloration and some debris and I didn't really watch him put it back after he came out of the 'shack' ... and so, when I checked it before I started this thread, the one I now have is about 5 years old and completely black and dirty ... yeah, weird stuff...so No, I won't be returning there for any more help.

Now that I think back on it, the mower DID run for about 7 or 8 minutes when I used it, then it stopped and wouldn't even turn over. And, I was using last summer's gas, but the thing is, I was on my second tank of last summer's gas, is it possible the stale gas is the problem? Could it run on last summer's gas for a little over a tank and then just stop? Also, the spark plug smells of gas and oil, could that be because the 'fixit' guy had my mower on it's side while sharpened the blade? if so, am i doomed?

Thanks for the help!

phnxrsn

Threads
:welcome:

Sounds like some bad luck.

I'm going to move this thread over to our Craftsman section to see if anyone over there might be able to help.

Thanks Catherine! How will I know if there are any comments?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
OK, not going back. Gotcha.

After you brought it home, it ran until you shut it off to dump the grass. Conclusion: The spark plug and air filter they put in did not cause it to fail to start.

But you've replaced both of them anyway, and the mower still won't start.

Question: How did the new spark plug get wet and smell of gas and oil? From trying to start it? If so, sometimes spark plugs get fouled, regardless of how new they are. Get another new spark plug (get two; they're cheap) and try again, following the starting instructions for your mower exactly.

If it does not start, remove the spark plug again and check it for gas, oil. Check to see that the blade brake/kill switch lever is being pushed far enough forward to allow the engine to run. I don't know if this is a common problem, but I've seen it before on a Craftsman mower. Of course, this assumes that you have a Briggs and Stratton engine similar to the one that was on the Craftsman mower I worked on.

phnxrsn

Threads
To answer your question: Question: How did the new spark plug get wet and smell of gas and oil? From trying to start it? If so, sometimes spark plugs get fouled, regardless of how new they are. Get another new spark plug (get two; they're cheap) and try again, following the starting instructions for your mower exactly.

I believe the spark plug got wet from trying to start it. I removed it, wiped it off and put it back in and again it came out wet. I'll get a new one or two as you suggest and try again.

Yes, it's a B&S engine.

How do I check this: Check to see that the blade brake/kill switch lever is being pushed far enough forward to allow the engine to run ?? I did notice that when I pulled the bar back to the handle to start, it didn't feel right. It felt as if there was nothing moving, just the bar and now I'm wondering if your comment above might have something to do with this, so how do I check to see if the lever is being pushed far enough forward?

Thank you!

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Trace the cable from the bar you have to hold up to allow the mower to run, all the way to its end. Then watch the end of this cable as you squeeze the bar to its running position. You should see the shroud of the cable move a lever forward. It was on the left side of the mower I worked on. On that mower, the end of the small cable which runs inside the shroud was anchored to a solid mount. It was the exterior of the cable which was doing the work.

Got any pictures?