Craftsman 7.25 Platinum - won't start - help please

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thank you.

As a preliminary, if you have a pair of vice grips, clamp them on the metal bracket in my blue circle. Then see if you can make that bracket move forward. That will give you a feel for how this thing works and also confirm that it isn't locked up.

Pliers will work, too.

phnxrsn

Threads
I've attached two pictures each clamping a piece of metal in the blue circle, are either of these the metal bracket you mention? I tried to move both of those towards the front of the mower towards my left, is that what you mean by forward? I have the feeling I'm going to get this very shortly and all will be good!

thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0722.jpg
    IMG_0722.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0723.jpg
    IMG_0723.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 10

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes. Picture #2. See if it will move forward, if you haven't already.

phnxrsn

Threads
Yep, I tried to move towards the front of the mower and no movement - what does that mean?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
OK. Keep in mind it is not going to move easily; you're working against a spring. There's a lot of mechanical advantage built into that handle. Probably 4:1 if not more.

Also, put the pliers on the object circled in RED in my photo and see if it will move toward the rear of the mower. Maybe this mower is different than the one I worked on, although it looks the same.

phnxrsn

Threads
I can move that whole thing out away from the engine and it's tough to do, but it won't move towards the front. did you mean to attach a photo with a red circle or should i refer to photos you marked up earlier in this thread? I didn't see any other photos from you...

I WD40 the whole thing too, just in case it was stuck - no luck :(

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Either the item circled in red has to move toward the rear or the item circled in blue has to move toward the front of the mower. I don't know which it will be, but one of those two things has to happen for your mower to run.

If either one of them moves perpendicular to the axis of the cable, there is something haywire.

And yes, we are talking about the only photo I posted.

phnxrsn

Threads
I was able to move the item circled in blue towards the front of the mower, as I said it was hard due to spring, but yes, I can move the metal bracket blue circle forward.

I now understand you were referring to my photos that you made the red and blue circles.

Next steps?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Next step is to anchor that cable in the correct place and get IT to move that bracket forward. You've got to be able to see that bracket move forward when you operate the handle on the handlebars.

When that is done, I'll bet you lunch that it will start and run.

phnxrsn

Threads
I hope you're right! I'll look for a bolt and nut since that's how it was secured in the first place...I'll let you know how it goes!