Craftsman 7.25 Platinum - won't start - help please

phnxrsn

Threads
I have a 50 sec. video but can't load because it's a MOV not bitmap or other ... any idea how to get it to you? I followed the cables one looks like a ground wire and the other goes to a box underneath where the blade is do I need to unscrew that box to see the cable? I took the video because it shows the 2-3" play in that bar now where there wasn't before...the fixit guy secured the rubber attachment that kept the cables from getting tangled and now that attachment comes off when I pull the bar to start the motor.

Let me know if I can email you the video rather than attempt to load here.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
The cable going underneath the deck probably goes to the self-propelled unit.

The cable I'm talking about is above the deck and goes to the left side of the engine.

I don't know if I can play a MOV or not.

Get rid of the slack in that cable and try to restart.

phnxrsn

Threads
.MOV is iPhone's video, let me know if you want me to email. I've attached 2 pictures. One is the cable location - it doesn't look like it's on the engine? the second is the 'clamp' that near the handle / bar. the fixit guy secured that clamp with zip ties - one of the zip ties broke and I removed the second - now that clamp doesn't stay in place does this even matter? The slack is in the handle not in the cable...does this help? I can send other pictures if you need.

thanks again for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_0716.jpg
    IMG_0716.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0717.jpg
    IMG_0717.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 8

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's the cable. Yes, all that slack matters. It needs to go. That cable serves two functions--it controls a kill switch and a blade brake. It is supposed to kill the engine and bring it to an abrupt stop if you let go of the handlebars.

IIRC the cable end is attached to a solid bar and the cable housing is what moves the lever which sticks out from the engine. It has to go forward to a.)open the kill switch and b.)release the blade brake.

Get the cable anchored to the handlebars using tape, zip ties, baling wire or what have you. Then see if you can adjust the slack out of the cable with the knurled plastic nut at the other end of the cable.

If you run out of adjustment, you may have to get a new cable. Sears carries them. That's what I had to do.

phnxrsn

Threads
I removed the zip tie from that clamp because the clamp was coming off every time I pulled that lever. I just tried to hold onto that clamp and either the bar/lever won't move or the clamp comes off so I'm not sure what to do with that. I've attached three photos of what I believe you are referring to in the comments about the end of the cable are any of those what you reference? Do I need to get under where the blade is to check if it's in the forward position? I tried moving some of them and I'm not sure I was doing anything...How do I know if the cable can't be adjusted anymore? Obviously, I haven't adjusted it before ...

Attachments

• IMG_0718.jpg
    IMG_0718.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0716.jpg
    IMG_0716.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0717.jpg
    IMG_0717.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 9

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Your picture #1--throw it away. That cable is for the self propel mechanism. It has nothing to do with your problem.

Your picture #3--that cable holder has to be reaffixed to the handlebars in its original position. Someway, somehow it has to get anchored or replaced with a new cable.

See my picture. Red circle--IIRC, this is stationary. Blue circle--this is the part that moves. That plastic nut is how you adjust the slack in the cable.

You may be in over your head on this. A lot of this should have been obvious.

Correction: I should have said *I* may be in over *my* head. I don't possess the communications skills necessary to talk first-timers through repairs.

LMW 1.JPG

phnxrsn

Threads
I realize I may be in over my head -haha but I have no choice. I'm broke (that's why I went to the 'free' community place) and my lawn just keeps growing ... so, honestly, I do appreciate your help.

So, if I loosen that nut you circled I should be able to secure that clamp near the bar, is that right?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
You don't have to loosen anything to secure that cable holder to the handlebars.

phnxrsn

Threads
OK - I went back out there and watched the end of the cable you circled while I held onto the clamp and noticed that it comes out of the engine ... just a little bit ... when I move that bar. But, that clamp will not stay in place even when I hold it in place with my hand...so securing it will have to wait until I can figure out how to adjust the cable...I tried turning it with my hand lefty loosey like and don't see any movement - how to I adjust that cable?

thank you!

phnxrsn

Threads
Oh I think you're doing just fine :)

I hope I'm communicating ok though ... thanks for your help