Craftman Kohler Pro 18hp OHV Wont Start / Backfires Thru Carb

JonnyBlaze

Threads
  • / Craftman Kohler Pro 18hp OHV Wont Start / Backfires Thru Carb
Engine CV492s. Just picked up an older Craftsman LTX1000. Owner said it started earlier this spring and went to mow yard and it wouldn't start. Said he put fresh fuel and spark plug. Gets spark. Has compression. I know its getting gas and it backfires out carb when cranking over.

Where should I start? Thanks!

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I get some kind of re-direct when clicking the links. Neither goes to summit racing. Don't know if the problem is on my end or yours.

JonnyBlaze

Threads
I get some kind of re-direct when clicking the links. Neither goes to summit racing. Don't know if the problem is on my end or yours.

That is weird. Me too. Here are the tool part numbers:

OTC Tools 7206

Performance Tool W89711

JonnyBlaze

Threads
I used this one to pull the flywheel off of a 12.5 HP B&S about a month ago. It worked well. I tightened it down, then whacked the flywheel w/ a rubber mallet to get it off. mobiledistributorsupply.com/harmonic-balancer-steering-wheel-puller-1.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwjPXIBRDhwICRg-DbgHISJADP6QXppT6lvbhaq_2sREVKxxIIieraICKV4dmvfzFYI286LRoCgs7w_wcB#

Working now. I wonder if it has the right size bolts. I want a kit with as many bolts as possible so I don't have to run to the hardware store every time I need different size bolts.

JonnyBlaze

Threads
So I just drained the oil on it today and it dang near filled a full size coffee can! Thats gotta be way more than 2 quarts, correct?

Also, took everything off above the flywheel, waiting for my puller to get here, and the bolt that holds it down hardly took any force to break loose at all. I just held the flywheel by hand and bolt came right out.

Attachments

• 20170519_170255.jpg
    20170519_170255.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 8

TobyU

Threads
I think most all Kohlers use a steel key and won't be sheared. They hold a little less than 2 qts.
Did it smell like it had gas in the oil?
This is common and will eventually cause not to run.
I've seen a lot of the command singles having coils go out recently.
They spark but only about every 3-4th hit and won't run.