Troy-Bilt weed-eater (TB21EC) keeps stalling

Ross91

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Troy-Bilt weed-eater that has giving me problems for a while. In the third choke position it would rev up and slowly but surely, stall out. So today, I decided I would tune it up a bit and try to get it running right. I cleaned the air filter and for good measure, took apart the carb and made sure all the components were in good shape. And after this, there really wasn't much of a change in how it ran, so I went ahead and replaced the spark plug as well with a First Fire. The owner's manual said to gap the plug at .025, so I did. Now the engine seems to be running better than before, a little less boggy. But it keeps jerking, like the plug is misfiring, and then after moving the choke to position 3 it dies after holding on the throttle for a while. Can someone help me?!

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check your head bolts. They will be lose.

Ross91

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am relatively unfamiliar with two-stroke motors unfortunately, do you know the location of the head-bolts? :confused2:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Number 4 will have to be removed and maybe number 12 as well. They are torq bit bolts. Circled in red are the bolts. They are in 2 to 3 inch holes.
troy built.jpg

Dan1129

Threads
Check your spark ignitor screen for carbon buildup. Located in the muffler remove that and should be a screen attached clean off all carbon buildup on it. You want the screen to where you can see through it.

norcalbruce

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, it could be bad gas as well.. Was it stored over the season with gas still in the tank and carburetor? Be careful if you open up the carb yourself..
I hope this helps. B.