Smoking 2 stroke

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi we have a Flymo hover mower with a Suzuki M120X 2 stroke engine. If the air filter is removed it runs fine. Fitted a brand new Suzuki air filter but problem still the same. Having cleaned the plug the engine will start but within 20 seconds it run very rough, blue smoke belches from exhaust and eventually stalls.
Remove plug to find oiled up and very sooty.
Tried different petrol oil mixes as have several 2 stroke machines so know fuel and oil good.
Carburettor float and pin working OK.
Any ideas before we have to take to repairer

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome: Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move your thread over to our repairs section. :smile:

Pumper54

Threads
Sounds like it is running very rich, removing the air filter increases air flow and the engine runs better. Has the card been "played" with and possibly is the choke stuck closed? Let us know what you find. Found this and it might help you: http://golftechs.us/Manuals/Suzuki.pdf
Tom

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like it is running very rich, removing the air filter increases air flow and the engine runs better. Has the card been "played" with and possibly is the choke stuck closed? Let us know what you find. Found this and it might help you: http://golftechs.us/Manuals/Suzuki.pdf
Tom

Hi Tom, thanks for the link. I am sure it will be very useful..
Unfortunately the choke is fully open after starting and stays fully open. It is exactly the same condition as a stuck choke but not so.

Pumper54

Threads
You might be into remove and clean carb time now. Follow the directions in the manual and you will do just fine.

Tom

Forum Newbie
Threads
You might be into remove and clean carb time now. Follow the directions in the manual and you will do just fine.

Tom

Thanks Tom I will try to do that over the forthcoming Bank Holiday weekend. Help much appreciated.
Mike

Threads
those engines were great, we sold hundreds over the years, when you clean out the carb, pay extra attention o the pilot jet & passages, good luck

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi folks. I thought I replied to all. Eventually stripped carb and cleaned, however I noticed a crack in the fuel pipe right on the union, no fuel ever leaked out so may have happened when stripping down. Changed fuel pipe and refitted carb. It starts first pull and runs like a dream.
A BIG thanks to all who helped.
Mike

Pumper54

Threads
Mike,
Sounds like you fixed what ever was the issue. Glad you let us know it is running better. So many folks ask questions, get answers and we never hear back from them.

Tom

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mike,
Sounds like you fixed what ever was the issue. Glad you let us know it is running better. So many folks ask questions, get answers and we never hear back from them.

Tom
Agreed, so many times the viewing public is left hanging....thanks for coming back and removing the cliff hanger for us....glad you got it all sorted out.