Mower deck Husqvarna YTH24V48LS Electric Clutch Replacement or Adjustment?

ALAHusq

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Husqvarna YTH24V48LS Electric Clutch Replacement or Adjustment?
Product # 960430116 03 // Model # YTH24V48LS

5/16/17 - My Clutch stopped working suddenly (part #532400008). I was just mowing along under no strain and the clutch disengaged and would not reengage. All it did was click and you could tell it was trying to turn the deck pulley but would not. Checked voltage (14.3V), switch, and ground. All is fine. Clutch works now after cooling off overnight but took it off to see it I could find anything wrong. All looks fine. Electro magnet coil reads 3.3 Ohms. Bearings feel great. The mower, bought new has 63 hours on it, garage kept, maintained extremely well. Kept very clean, only gets wet when I wash it off about once a year. My questions are:

1. Should I just go ahead and replace the clutch? Was this incident just a freak one time event or the precursor of things to come? If I do replace the clutch does anyone have a recommended brand other than Husqvarna?

2. If I should keep this clutch for a while longer what is the procedure for adjusting the gap between the pulley and the magnet?

Also,I have read on the forum that our friends and Husqvarna don't publish many shop type repair manuals but was hoping that someone may know where I could pick one up for this one. i like this mower and refuse to take it back to the dealer I bought it from for numerous reasons. A shop manual would make the job of maintaining it a little easier.

Any and all advice welcome
Thank you
ALAHusq

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you have the clutch with the three studs with springs and nut on them it is adjustable. Insert a .012 feeler gauge in the slot and put it between the two plates, and turn the each nut the same amount until you reach the correct clearance at all three corners. Something else to check would be continuity with the clutch hot. The resistance will increase in some cases. You are at the upper limits that is acceptable for a ohms reading now.

Husqvarna doesn't even supply their dealers with manuals in most cases. I haven't seen a poulan manual in about 20 years.

ALAHusq

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you ILENGINE for the feedback.
I do have the three adjustable studs and did adjust all three gaps to .012 in. However, when I did that the pulley would not turn and was just all but locked to the electro magnet. Once adjusted, shouldn't the pulley turn freely? I had to back it off to .035 to get it to turn without friction. I used three feeler gauges to make sure I was getting an accurate reading. It's starting to sound like I just need a new clutch or I'm I off course here.

Thank you

ALAHusq

ALAHusq

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry, I forgot about the continuity/resistance check for the clutch windings. What is the method for checking the windings while energized?

PS - just what I thought for the shop manual...

Thank you

ALAHusq

ALAHusq

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you NorthBama, That is the one I was hoping to get positive feedback on. I guess I'll go ahead and get it on order in case my current one is not repairable/reliable.

Thanks again
ALAHusq

ALAHusq

Forum Newbie
Threads
When I do put either the current clutch or a new one on the mower, what torque to I tighten the mounting bolt to? I have seen anywhere between 55-60 ft.lbs. quoted. Is this correct? If not what should it be? Certainly don't want that sucker coming off but over tighting can do a lot of damage...

Thank you

ALAHusq