Sad story

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Local news website just reported that a 3 year old girl in the mid-Michigan area lost most of one leg in a mowing accident. She was at her grandparents, ran out to surprise her grandfather who was mowing with a tractor, and he backed up and knocked her down, the blades cut much of one leg off. What a horrible thing to happen, they say she will recover but her leg could not be saved.

I always cringe when I see people carrying their kids around while they mow, that isn't the same as this incident but the result could be the same. The grandfather should have turned around to look before he backed up (something I ALWAYS do, even if it's a few feet) poor man will feel the guilt the rest of his life.

Play it safe, you guys.

Black Bart

Threads
Local news website just reported that a 3 year old girl in the mid-Michigan area lost most of one leg in a mowing accident. She was at her grandparents, ran out to surprise her grandfather who was mowing with a tractor, and he backed up and knocked her down, the blades cut much of one leg off. What a horrible thing to happen, they say she will recover but her leg could not be saved.

I always cringe when I see people carrying their kids around while they mow, that isn't the same as this incident but the result could be the same. The grandfather should have turned around to look before he backed up (something I ALWAYS do, even if it's a few feet) poor man will feel the guilt the rest of his life.

Play it safe, you guys.
I sure hate to hear this.
I no longer have children at home but I do keep an eye out for the dog while mowing.

He usually stays well away from the mower while I'm mowing he lays on the porch.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I sure hate to hear this.
I no longer have children at home but I do keep an eye out for the dog while mowing.

He usually stays well away from the mower while I'm mowing he lays on the porch.

Drove forklifts for a long time so to me looking before backing is second nature, all our cats are always inside when I am mowing. Neighbor has two young kids ages 4 and 6 and they know enuff to stay clear of me but I always look behind me before backing anyhow.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
I always take the utmost care when mowing.

I try to make sure my cat is inside, but when I can't, I always look where I'm going, as cats are fast and could easily come out from nowhere.

Especially with a self propelled mower, you really have to watch, as you can't just stop, you have to disengage the propulsion handle before stopping the mower, or you risk the mower tipping up and exposing the blade - Making things 10 times worse if somebody/something got too close.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
thats horrible!...but it reminds you these are dangerous machines we have...i know ill be more aware after this

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Like you, JD - I drove forklift for years, and looking before backing is a habit. One of the few GOOD ones I have.......

benski

Threads
It's enough to break your heart, reading things like this story. Please, guys and gals, take the extra few seconds it takes to make sure where your going is clear to do so. Enough soapboxing..:frown:

CompactTractorFan

Threads

Play it safe, you guys.

Very sad indeed. I remember seeing an episode of "Rescue 911" where a young women was towing her very young siblings in a wagon behind the mower. After they were done their ride, one came running up to her and a similar thing happened as the story you posted...

About this time last year, the middle aged son of a lady from our church was killed while he was mowing. Apparently, he had a heart attack and fell off and was run over...