Repairs 928D axle leak

Branam101

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got a 1996 928D that is leaking past the axle seal on the RH final drive. I replaced the seal last week and it ran fine for about an hour and started leaking again. Idling out of gear, it barely leaks, but if you rev it up it leaks a LOT faster. I noticed when I replaced the seal that it drove in with very little resistance. Almost a push in fit. What I was wondering is how much pressure is the hydraulic fluid under on the back side of the final drive? Enough to push the seal out. It was putting out a stream about 1/2 the diameter of a pencil, which made me think the seal could have come unseated. The local dealer suggested the hole the axle goes through could be worn enough to wear the seal. Of course that would require a new final drive housing. The thing is,
if that was the case, it should have started seeping oil and then work it's way to pouring oil over time. This is the second seal I put in it. Put one in it last summer and it failed in the fall. Put this one in and it failed in an hour.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
not sure of your exact tranny but most have some sort of breather to allow for the air pressure generated from heat when running to escape.

Most of the tranny's have manuals available from the MANUFACTURER bit not from the mower maker.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
AFAIK Eaton are no longer making mower transmissions.
Get on the Grasshopper they will have a work around for the tranny.