Please Help!

pepperjack

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello All,

I purchased a house that sits on one acre last September. Prior to that, I lived in a townhouse. So, I am still getting used to the repairs and upkeep of an older house on some land.

When we bought the house the previous owners were kind enough to leave a Craftsman ride on mower for us. From what my father in law tells me it is a 2004 with a "kohler" engine in it.

The mower has worked fantastic until last week. I just finished mowing the yard (it took me a little over an hour) on Saturday and when I was driving to put the mower in the garage it completely stopped. I tried to re-start it but when I turned the key, NOTHING happened. No clicking, no whirring, no activity on the gauges. It seems like it may be the battery since nothing is showing on the gauges (which are digital). However, I was driving all morning for over an hour with no problems. Would the battery just stop working when I was going to put it away? Maybe the alternator?

Any ideas you could provide would help me greatly.

Thank you in advance,

pepperjack

NorthBama

Threads
check the fuse first
check the battery and battery connections
and post your results

pepperjack

Forum Newbie
Threads
NorthBama,

Thank you very much for the response. I am at work now but will check ASAP.

Thanks,

pepperjack

NorthBama

Threads
please post model numbers of mower and engine

Pumper54

Threads
Hate to be Captain Obvious but any chance the PTO (Blades) are still turned on and are you out of gas? Model number and or pictures really help a lot. Also if the mower is as old as you think and has the original battery it might be time to have it tested and possibly replaced.

Tom

Teds

Threads
They were nice to leave the mower, did they leave the operator's manual too? If not, it's almost certainly available for download, and/or I would bet the manufacturer would be happy to mail you a copy. Manuals aren't what they used to be, but there will be at least some useful information on operation and maintenance.

Batteries can fail suddenly and without warning. Not always, but it's not unusual. It is good practice to put infrequently used equipment on a battery tender, they use virtually no electricity and can be left connected indefinitely. This way the battery will be in good shape after a long winter/hot summer. They are inexpensive and extend the life of the battery, sometimes considerably.

pepperjack

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you to everyone who has responded. Sorry for the delay in posting but I have had some home related issues come up. I am feeling like Tom Hanks in Money Pit.

I bought a multimeter and tested the battery. At the terminals it is putting out 12.65 volts. The battery cables appear to be intact.

I have also purchased a new fuse and replaced the old one that looked like it had much be better days.

I also located the owners manual that was left for me by the previous homeowners. It is a 2000 craftsman electric start 48" mower that was purchased in 2001. It is red and has a model number of 917.272243

Also, the pedal is depressed and the blades are disengaged when trying to start the mower. It seems that this is a 100% electrical problem. It has an "amps" Guage and "hours" lapsed guage that do not respond when the key is turned. Even in the "accessories" position. The headlights do not respond either.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. My lawn is knee high

Teds

Threads
Consider renting, or borrowing, a mower in order to cut the grass until you get this one straightened out. Taking off too much at any one time is a severe shock to the turf, so you'll probably need to cut in steps, too. Don't wait.

A battery will typically show a reasonable open circuit voltage when not under any load, even though it has failed and is no longer serviceable. Has it been or did you charge it up back when it failed? How old is it? Batteries have a date code on them, if it's several years old it is almost certainly spent, they are usually neglected in lawn equipment.

The fact that the lights don't work, is a tell. Either a main battery or ground connection is loose or corroded and is not providing the juice, or the battery has failed, or maybe both.

Even an invisible layer of corrosion on connections, terminals, or grounds is enough to prevent proper charging voltage from getting through.

Measure the battery voltage at the terminals while under load, or remove it and have it tested. Many auto parts stores will perform a battery test for free. My guess is the battery is most likely done. When they fail it is oftentimes without warning.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
First off .... your lawn .... is NOT a CRISIS !! there is no blood involved here !! worst case scenario is you may have to pay
someone to cut your lawn until your machine is back in action ..
This Forum exists because we ...people like you ..have been in your shoes ( needing help ) at one time or another .
and we have a good idea of you are going through ( not quite child-birth..BUT close ) ...( LOL ) ..:laughing:
your battery voltage (you stated 12.6) should be plenty to start the eng. I'm enclosing a link to a video ..which I hope you will watch entirely ...as it will give you some good knowledge about your mowers electrical system ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UphstihZeA

after watching the video ... come back and post your findings AND any questions .. You already have several
members jumping in...to HELP YOU !! ..:thumbsup:

pepperjack

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you to everyone for your help. I bought a new battery, installed it, and there is still no response from the guages, lights, engine, etc.

I watched the video and reviewed the electric schematic in the owners manual. I still cannot figure out what is going on here.

Any other thought?