I'm missing something

hrdman2luv

Threads
I have a basic Craftsman Lt1000. With a 21hp briggs intek V twin. OHV. Model 917-272463.
The problem is, I can't get any juice to the starter. I've checked all the safety switches. Key switch. Ground. I've replaced the solenoid with a new one.
But when I turn the key, I get nothing.

What am I missing?

Which wire goes from the key switch to the solenoid? That's the only thing I haven't checked so far. Other than checking to see if there is any power going to all four posts on the solenoid. And the only power I've found, was the one that goes directly to the battery. No click when I turn the key on.

Checking the key switch. I checked the continuity from the "S" & "B". And got a connection.

I'm thinking I'm overlooking something. Or maybe not checking something correctly.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a basic Craftsman Lt1000. With a 21hp briggs intek V twin. OHV. Model 917-272463.
The problem is, I can't get any juice to the starter. I've checked all the safety switches. Key switch. Ground. I've replaced the solenoid with a new one.
But when I turn the key, I get nothing.

What am I missing?

Which wire goes from the key switch to the solenoid? That's the only thing I haven't checked so far. Other than checking to see if there is any power going to all four posts on the solenoid. And the only power I've found, was the one that goes directly to the battery. No click when I turn the key on.

Checking the key switch. I checked the continuity from the "S" & "B". And got a connection.

I'm thinking I'm overlooking something. Or maybe not checking something correctly.

Check for continuity from (S) on the key switch and the connection on the solenoid, if you don't have continuity, then check you safety switchers again or look for open in the wiring, remember if you have a four post solenoid one of the small wires goes to ground.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There's a fuse in the small wire connected to the battery post of the solenoid, going to the key switch. Have you checked that fuse, because if blown you will get no power anywhere.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Being that you have found the B=Battery terminal.
Set your meter to Volts.
The B = Battery terminal should be 12V all the time
The fuse mentioned above should be on that wire somewhere but they do hide them really well.

hrdman2luv

Threads
I have had time to read the replies real close. But I will tonight.

Update. I got another (used) key switch from a parts mower. I plugged it, turned the key and the coil wires got hot and something started smoking. Unplugged real fast.
After that I started getting fire to the plugs. (Things that make you hmmmm)

So with the original key switch back in, I cranked it with my big drill. And it ran great. Like a champ.
So I turned the key off and it kept running. (Another hmmmm moment ) But with I pulled on the key switch harness, it died.
So I followed the red wire down to the little diode looking connection and pressed it toget her a little better and got it to crank. And run.
Except the only way to kill it, is to tug on the key switch wires.

There's a short somewhere. I'll either juse replace the harness or go searching to bad wires.