Adjust reverse gear linkage? Loose spring? Husqvarna/Craftsman/MTD

bellc1

Threads
  • / Adjust reverse gear linkage? Loose spring? Husqvarna/Craftsman/MTD
I have a Husqvarna riding mower, model YTH2042. I'm told it is the same as Craftsman or MTD and generally buy Crafstman parts (like the deck) from SearsPartsDirect.com but I have no comparison model number.

Two problems:

I can't shift fully into reverse. The handle won't go back to the full reverse position and I don't see how it is adjusted underneath to allow further travel. It DOES go into reverse but travels at a snail pace, probably because I can't move the lever all the way back. I have looked online and can't find a service manual anywhere, just an owners/parts manual which doesn't cover this. Any ideas?

I have a spring hanging down that I can see when I remove the back panel. But I don't know where it should be connected at or what direction it is supposed to be pulling/pushing the clutch-side pedal. Any help would be great!

Attachments

• P1000717s.jpg
    P1000717s.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 74
  • P1000718s.jpg
    P1000718s.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 69

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
i believe your pictures are of the brake lever..not the gear lever...does it make a noise when you hit that limit point?

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
the hanging spring is supposed to be clamped to the bolt underneath it ....the brake lever bracket.......look closely to see the bolt with a gap in it and put back on..they can pop off.....ive never seen one on the rod like that...usually it spans from the brake bracket bolt to the lever

bellc1

Threads
You are correct in that it is the brake lever rod the spring has one end attached to. I'm not sure why I put that. I was guessing on the spring and if it goes to that bolt below it then I guessed right but I still haven't seen what it pulls forwards or backwards being there. It almost seems unnecessary which is why I wondered where it really goes. I'd kill for a picture.

As for the transmission, it is a hydrostatic (whatever that really means) transmission. When I pull the gear lever back to the reverse position, it only goes back maybe an inch or so. All motion in forward gear is fine. It's only backwards that I have the problem. Yet if I look at the linkage at the transmission, there really is no further travel possible which is why I'm wondering if something inside the transmission is causing the lever to only move back an inch.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
heres a picture...the tranny thing is some thing im dealing with too...people say a sticking brake can cause it....as well as low fluid level..but if its not traveling as far it might be something broken inside...also since i dont know how long youve had it...maybe its a safety thing that you have to do before you go into reverse?

Attachments

• IMG_0667[1].jpg
    IMG_0667[1].jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 52

bellc1

Threads
I think yours and mine are different. Other than the spring it doesn't look like mine. But it is interesting in that your spring isn't connected to the brake rod like mine is. I wonder if mine should even be on the brake rod, like maybe it was connected wrong by the dealer last summer?

Hmmm. Now you have me wondering.

Thanks! I really do appreciate your effort in trying to help me here!!!

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
you should have a return spring on the brake lever so it doesnt stick on....hope that works!

bellc1

Threads
I'm kinda getting that idea. :)

bellc1

Threads
Does anyone know how to adjust the linkage so I can get this fully working in reverse?