Usermanual & Oil Question

TonyPrin

Threads
ok, im going to homedepot and walmart later. Which regular oil should i buy for it?

This Yr:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Midwest-Engine-Warehouse-4-Cycle-Mower-Oil/55522561

Next year and going foward:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-...690#about-item

or just go with regular sae 30 at the end of each season.

Pick any quality brand (Castrol, Mobil, QS, Valvoline) of 10W-30. Go with that going forward or switch to a similar quality synthetic. There's a donut-shaped label; look for SJ, SL, SM, or SN in the top, rating area. If you can, do a little research as there's plenty of rebates available. As a new homeowner you may have other 4-stroke needs such as with a snow blower. If so, synthetic can cover it all.

Last edited:

sb1

Forum Newbie
Threads
THANKS for all your help!

I definitely do not want any leaks in this mower as i cannot afford to buy a new one at this time. So I'm going to buy either a 10w-30 conv or Briggs & Stratton straight 30SAE oil conventional. As temps will be over 100 deg at some point this summer.

and thanks for advising me about the compressor, i thought pushing the dust/dirt would not hurt.

As of now: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Quaker-S...ormance-Conventional-Motor-Oil-1-qt./14958311

is the choice. Any last objections?

lol

thanks,
Steve

sb1

Forum Newbie
Threads
cancel my last post ....i see where the confusion is:

on briggs & stratton website:
it states:
SAE30 = 40 - 100 degrees (conv oil)
10w-30 = 0 to 100 degrees " "
oil1.PNG

on briggs & stratton usermanual (which I'm still not 100% is the correct manual states:
SAE30 = 40 - 100 degrees (conv oil) = which matches
10w-30 = 0 to 40 degrees ' ' = which does not match

oil2.PNG

what happens in the offseason when temps drop well below 40 degrees? So confused to what is the correct oil to use. Does this only matter during operating temps?

Thanks

Sorry for the confusion. Just new homeowner...1st time mower user. I change the oil on all my cars/trucks at home but there is not confusion as to the type as Iam having with the lawn mower.

Pumper54

Threads
Welcome to the forum and the wonders of home ownership.

I would recommend using the proper conventional oil all the time. I really don't think you will be running that engine for hours and hours on end during the day. Most of us home owners run our mowers for maybe a hour or so each week and the cost factor of syn oil-vs-dino oil is way to high in my mind. Also when you asked about the lower temps like during the winter, you will not be mowing and the mower will just be sitting so the lower temp range of the syn is not needed. Also just something to think about, do you really want to out mowing when it is a 100 degrees? So that can also be a mote point.

Tom

sb1

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks for the input! i do not mean to be repetitive but still does not answer my question. Which conventional oil type should I be using?

Live in NJ
Weather mowing conditions 50 to 100 degrees.
will use conventional oil to prevent leaks

thanks

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
You're attaching way too much importance to this. If you are going to keep the mower in your garage where the temperature will probably never get below 40 degrees, 30w conventional, any brand, is fine year-round. It does not matter if, for some reason, you want to mow when it's 30 degrees outside because the mower will be started when it's relatively warm.

If the mower is going to sit outside, exposed to temps below 30, that's a different situation. Use 10w-30 or 5w-30, any brand, and use it while wearing a parka.

The engine manufacturers specify straight weight oils because their air-cooled engines will consume less straight weight oil as compared to a multi-viscosity oil, especially at higher temps. BUT...you're going to buy 1 quart per year. The engine probably holds about 18 ounces. That leaves 12 ounces to add any time it needs it. If you use all of that, go buy another quart.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
THANKS for all your help!

I definitely do not want any leaks in this mower as i cannot afford to buy a new one at this time. So I'm going to buy either a 10w-30 conv or Briggs & Stratton straight 30SAE oil conventional. As temps will be over 100 deg at some point this summer.

and thanks for advising me about the compressor, i thought pushing the dust/dirt would not hurt.

As of now: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Quaker-S...ormance-Conventional-Motor-Oil-1-qt./14958311

is the choice. Any last objections?

lol

thanks,
Steve

If you have read any of the safety information that is shipped with compressors you will have read not to blow directly onto your skin and it should have a bio-hazard warning symbol.
When you spray your car you need to fit some expensive, dirt, oil & water traps in the air line to prevent them messing up the paint job.
Those same dust water & oil particles can penetrate your skin ( the bio-hazard )
And the same particles will balast holes right through the filter.
With foam, massarge some hair shampoo through the filter then rinse them from the inside out, squeeze but do not wring. paper gets tapped hard to dislodge heavy dirt clumps or just replace them.
It your mower has the boat shaped foam filter install it dry then dip your finger in some clean oil and wipe it across the top side of the filter to make it just slightly wetter than damp.

sb1

Forum Newbie
Threads
You're attaching way too much importance to this. If you are going to keep the mower in your garage where the temperature will probably never get below 40 degrees, 30w conventional, any brand, is fine year-round. It does not matter if, for some reason, you want to mow when it's 30 degrees outside because the mower will be started when it's relatively warm.

Yes!

The mower will be in my garage during the winter of course
I will use 30w conventional
I will stop asking questions on this thread

BUT

Agree that Briggs and Stratton have 2 different scales for their 10w-30 and is misleading

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm not trying to get you to quit asking questions. Ask away! That's what this forum is for.

If it will help, yes, I agree that Briggs information is misleading.