Engine Cub Cadet HDS 2135 won`t start

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
What voltage do you get going positive terminal to negative terminal on the battery?

jal540

Threads
I get the same voltage across both the cattery's positive terminal to negative terminal and positive terminal to starter housing: 12.9V now.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
OK. I was wondering why the voltage to the starter housing was more than the voltage across the two battery terminals. The fact that you can get battery voltage by touching the housing means the starter has a good ground.

You said you replaced the starter assembly--is that correct?

From the picture, it looks like the starter has a built-in solenoid. Is that correct? Does that big red wire run directly to the battery?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Then jumping to that big red wire won't do anything. It's no different than putting jumper cables on the battery. There are other small terminals on the solenoid, one of which is looking for a 12 volt signal to start the ball rolling.

I don't know how to tell you which one; but a wire from the 'start' position of the ignition switch is connected to it. Or should be, if you have the wires connected correctly.

jal540

Threads
That`s the blue wire that is connected to the solenoid (shown in the picture). It goes through a couple of junctions (connectors) on its way to the ignition switch.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
What voltage do you have at that terminal with the key off? Should be zero.

What voltage with the key turned to 'start?' Should be 12v. If it is, I think the problem is in your solenoid. If not, problem is in the ignition switch, one of the 'bypass' switches, or the wire itself.

jal540

Threads
12V between where and where?

I replaced the solenoid. It comes with the starter assembly.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Between the blue wire and ground.

Don't assume anything is good because it's new.