Toro TimeCutter SS4225 or Cub Cadet RZT L42

rana1224

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looking to buy my first zero turn. Both are solid machines. Difference are below

Toro advantages --> 13 gauge deck, steel spindle, 8 inch shorter in length,

Cub cadet advantages --> 23 hp engine, hour meter, 1 inch fatter rear tires

Any recommendations will be appreciated

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm partial to Toro, but the 8 inches shorter makes a big diff in tight spots. (just saying)

And you can add an hour meter.

rana1224

Forum Newbie
Threads
make sense, any comments on construction and reliability between these tow?

cruzenmike

Threads
The build quality of the Toro is excellent. I had a 4225 for a while; only got rid of it because it was overkill for my previous lawn. Two more advantages to the Toro are that you can mow in reverse without any additional steps and the selectable speed (Smart Speed) is actually quite useful both for learning and for everyday use. I personally had the recycler kit installed in which you cannot use at speeds over 5 mph so I would set at the middle speed and at full throttle and full forward on the levers I was still good to cut. The hour meter is nice on the Cub if you are very particular about maintenance but you can install one in the Toro for about $70. As for the tires, although they may be different widths, the tread pattern of Toro tire may afford it better traction. Just some thoughts. Best thing you can do is go to a dealer and try both out.

Mike

rana1224

Forum Newbie
Threads
Build quality, reverse mow. I will be buying Toro. Thanks for everyone adding there experiences. Appreciate it.

Alaguy

Threads
The Cub can cut in reverse, page 18 of the owner's manual. Just turn the key 1 click to the left and push a button, it will stay in that mode until you get off the seat, or shut the deck down.

cruzenmike

Threads
The Cub can cut in reverse, page 18 of the owner's manual. Just turn the key 1 click to the left and push a button, it will stay in that mode until you get off the seat, or shut the deck down.

You are correct. But, coming from someone who has a Cub Cadet, I can tell you that at least once a cutting I end up killing the PTO because I forget to turn the key back and push the button. This is not only frustrating but it adds unnecessary wear on the PTO and deck components. I will not debate the "safety" of this feature either since running children over is not the fault of the mower, rather it is the fault of the operator or the parent/guardian responsible for ensuring that child's safety. With that being said, the Toro will be less annoying to own should you choose to mow responsibly. Sorry for the rant.

Mike

Alaguy

Threads
I've had my Cub for over 6 & 1/2 years, and the only time my PTO has cut off was when I didn't look down to see if the button was activated, and lit. You can't fault Cub for something you did or didn't do. You did just admit you forgot to turn the key and push the button.

cruzenmike

Threads
I've had my Cub for over 6 & 1/2 years, and the only time my PTO has cut off was when I didn't look down to see if the button was activated, and lit. You can't fault Cub for something you did or didn't do. You did just admit you forgot to turn the key and push the button.

I bet you love that new feature in some cars that chimes when you get out to remind you to check your back seat for your kids. I forget to turn the key and push the button, but I still look behind me before I back up. Pointless feature. Stop trying to take any or all responsibility away from people!

fixit1ddh

Threads
Has the electric brake computer switch gone bad on Your toro yet? Reason I bought cubs have over 400 hours on mine and over 200 on the Wifes & 0 problems so far. Other then that electronic electric brake i probably would of bought a toro.