shift cable?

div4gold

Threads
I have an old HR215 SXA that runs perfectly, except. I recently moved and folded the handle while moving. Prior to that everything worked like new. After the move I went to use it and the transmission won't engage. I took it to a small town small engine repair and he said there was something broke inside the transmission. Looking at about $500. to repair it so I brought it home. Getting curious I turned it up on it's side and moved the gear selector handle. The little lever on the transmission doesn't move at all when the lever is moved. Does that indicate a broken cable? Both ends are still connected. Also do you have to take the transmission out to replace the cable? Thanks for any help. Howard

div4gold

Threads
YouTube is your friend

There is lots of stuff on youtube on Honda mowers but I couldn't find one thing on the HR215 SXA. All of the transmission removal video is on belt driven transmissions. I don't know what else in the SXA is different but it's a shaft drive transmission.

jp1961

Threads
Hi Howard,

Hmmm. Not an expert on Honda mowers, but I just bought a shaft driven Honda mower. Remove the transmission cover on the back of the mower and move the self propel lever, does the lever on the transmission move? If not, folding the handle may have broken the cable even though the ends are still connected. You should be able to replace the cable without removing the transmission.

Regards

Jeff

div4gold

Threads
Hi Howard,

Hmmm. Not an expert on Honda mowers, but I just bought a shaft driven Honda mower. Remove the transmission cover on the back of the mower and move the self propel lever, does the lever on the transmission move? If not, folding the handle may have broken the cable even though the ends are still connected. You should be able to replace the cable without removing the transmission.

Regards

Jeff

Jeff, I did what you noted in your reply. I took the cover off and now I can see that both , clutch and gear change cables work the levers on the transmission like you would expect them too. I adjusted both according to the owners manual and it still wont engage the transmission. What I did notice while monkeying around with the clutch cable was that there is about a 1/4 inch endo movement on the shaft that the clutch cable connects to on the transmission. Also with the motor running the main input shaft turns fine. Thanks for your reply. Howard