GT48DXLS Fab deck cutting higher in the center

jpoke27

Forum Newbie
Threads
This tractor is new and is having a cutting issue. The grass is left higher in the center the width of the center blade with some blades left completely uncut. It's not a slim, completely uncut strip like there would be with improper blade length, but more of a raised center about a 1/2 inch to an inch higher. The deck is their fabricated one and has been properly leveled. also, I tried cutting with the deck level front to back and also with 1/4 to 1/3 inch forward cant. It seems to have improved a little with the forward tilt but still not an even cut.

The dealer took it back and "releveled" the deck and said it cut fine but unfortunately it was the same, raised center cut when I cut again. I then sharpened the blades (which had zero edge from the factory) and cut the same areas twice which resulted in a good cut, but i can't say for sure until I do a full cut when the grass grows back in a few days.

I am cutting at full throttle and tried cutting fast and slow. Obviously it's worse when i cut fast, but still seeing the issue even when i slow down.

Anyone have similar issues or suggestions? I'm not seeing any issues with the blades themselves. They are all the same height, rotating fine, and there isn't any issue that I can see with the belt drive system. IMG_2912.jpgIMG_2913.jpg

Thanks in advance.

cruzenmike

Threads
This truly is puzzling! If the blades are in fact all turning, at the same speed and all blades are level (even height from the ground), then you theoretically should not have the striping issue. What's even more puzzling is that the center stripe appears to be cut which means that it is not a belt or blade issue. The only other possible explanation that I can think of is an issue with the spindle itself. Maybe it is loose, wobbling or not properly seated in the deck? This model of mower is at the top of my list for replacing my old Cub Cadet when the time comes. I am very curious to know what it is; please update when resolved!! Thanks.

Mike

stevestd

Threads
I take it is a three blade system. Is the centre blade slipping under load?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is the center blade upside down? Do not laugh it has happened to many before.

jpoke27

Forum Newbie
Threads
Funny you say that about the blade being upside down because the dealer asked the same thing as they have seen that before haha.

The problem has been solved and it was actually a suction issue. I was cutting at maximum height on grass that was not abnormally long (maybe 5-6"). I then cut at one level lower and it cuts perfectly flat. I think the deck was set too high to get enough lift in the middle. Additionally, the blades were very dull from the factor (id compare them to the edge of a spoon) and after a little file work it for sure improved.

Thanks fellas

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Blades do not have a knife edge on them and if the do they won't for long.
Air flow under the deck is a black art but in general high lift blades ( bagging ) work much better than low lift particularly when cutting high.
Most decks give the best cut when set to the height that has the belt running parallel to the ground ( strait between the drive pulley & deck ) and this height varies from one brand to another.
One of the reasons why Gators gut so well is they are very high lift blades.