helps craftsman people :)

denthefish

Threads
Hi Help!!! --- I have a 2000ish DYT 4000 18.5 intek - It will run about 10 minutes just fine - then starts to sputter almost stall and puffs white smoke like an Indian smoke signal ---- flipping the throttle up and down I can get it to run but will happen again and again -- I can let it idle all day - no issues - I replaced/did the following

air filter's clean - tried running with gas cap off -- new fuel filter --- new fuel -- fuel shut off valve - gas line not collapsed -- new plug - cleaned the carb - changed the head gasket - adjusted valves twice - changed oil and filter - new coil - no mouse nests - fuel pump pumps good with hose off - - vacuum to fuel pump clear - just ordered a new carburetor ( will put on this week)

What am I missing ????

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hi Help!!! --- I have a 2000ish DYT 4000 18.5 intek - It will run about 10 minutes just fine - then starts to sputter almost stall and puffs white smoke like an Indian smoke signal ---- flipping the throttle up and down I can get it to run but will happen again and again -- I can let it idle all day - no issues - I replaced/did the following

air filter's clean - tried running with gas cap off -- new fuel filter --- new fuel -- fuel shut off valve - gas line not collapsed -- new plug - cleaned the carb - changed the head gasket - adjusted valves twice - changed oil and filter - new coil - no mouse nests - fuel pump pumps good with hose off - - vacuum to fuel pump clear - just ordered a new carburetor ( will put on this week)

What am I missing ????

The breather valve that vets the excessive crankcase pressure to the air filter housing.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
help !!!!! please

Lawn mower diagnosis 101.
Get an in line spark tester or better still a colortune and fit it
Get a can of starter fluid.
Remove air filter, give the mower a shot and try to start it.
If it starts but will only continue running is you keep giving it short shots of starter fluid the you have a fuel problem

If the colortune / spark tester does not flash or stops flashing before the engine starts to die, you have an ignition problem.

If you have a fuel problem the remove the float chamber and replace the cut off solenoid with a bolt/.
Engine runs OK the the solenoid or power supply to it is bad.

If the solenoid checks out OK the get a temporary fuel tank ( pinch it off your push mower )
Hook it directly to your carb and hold it as high as you can above the mower to give you the best head pressure.
Runs OK then you have a fuel pump / fuel line problem
No difference then you have a carb / manifold / valve problem.

Hook up the original fuel line again , start the engine & keep it running with short shots of starter fluid.
With a TRIGGER bottle of water/ Wd40 etc liberally spray all around the intake manifold.
Engine speed changes = air leak

Finally check the governor by starting the engine then hold the throttle open by moving the governor lever with your finger.
Works fine if you hold the lever open = governor problem