how to check for spark

nicholasbchavez

Forum Newbie
Threads
how to check for spark on a Briggs and Stratton 5.5 lawn mower engine?

Teds

Threads
Can also test a plug by removing it and grounding the plug to the head. Want to see a fat blue or bluish white spark that makes a snapping noise in the open air. A red or reddish yellow spark is no good, and ignition will not be able to jump the plug gap in actual operation under compression inside the engine.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Teds, there are a lot of ignition modules on lawnmower engines that will not produce a blue spark. Just not enough voltage created. Also grounding a plug on the head is not always accurate. Some plugs will spark against the head and still be bad. Heck some ignition modules will produce a spark at the spark plug and still be defective under actual work conditions.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Teds, there are a lot of ignition modules on lawnmower engines that will not produce a blue spark. Just not enough voltage created. Also grounding a plug on the head is not always accurate. Some plugs will spark against the head and still be bad. Heck some ignition modules will produce a spark at the spark plug and still be defective under actual work conditions.

Which is exactly why I use in line spark testers and if things really don't add up I pull out the colortune.
Nothing better or simplier than looking into the cylinder through the glass window in the plug to check for a spark at full compression.

Teds

Threads
Notice I said "want" to see a blue spark. White, whitish-blue, etc. Not red or yellow. It's beyond the scope of the question to cover every possible contingency, he's not working on the Space Shuttle, I think he can probably figure out what needs to happen here and make a quick and dirty check guys. If not, not.