Oil on spark plugs and other symptoms

jtdunn4life

Threads
Have a Troy bilt backpack blower that will run great if I keep it throttled but cannot hold an idle. Wouldn't start today. Pulled the plug and it was covered in oil. Had a used plug that was dry so I put it in and it cranked right up. When it dropped to idle it died again. Any help on diagnosis is appreciated. Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Lets start with the model number that starts with 41 so we can see what blower you have. I don't know if this is 2 stroke or 4 or what carb fuel setup you have.

jtdunn4life

Threads
Sure thing thanks....

41AR25BG711
It's a 2 stroke. I've been mixing 40:1 which is what's stated in the manual

The oil mix currently in there is Troy Bilt brand 2 cycle oil.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
My first two thought are the idle circuit in the carb is clogged so you are not getting fuel at idle. The other is the compression is borderline on the low side and doesn't have enough compression at idle to run.

jtdunn4life

Threads
Ok ok. The carb is a new zama. So I'm thinking that might not be it. So about this compression issue... would that be related to the ring?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ring.

Crank case seals

Carb gasket

Take your pick.

jtdunn4life

Threads
I went to the most likely problem area for compression (namely the part I worked on :laughing:). I was able to turn the carb screws about a quarter turn and the same for the muffler. That was a BIG help and it will now idle. It idled for at least 60 seconds after I used it and showed no signs of coughing.

BUT, I have one more problem. I cut the engine and wanted to see if it would restart... nope! No restart. When cold it cranks on about the 4th or 5th pull. Runs great. Will now idle. But it will not restart if the engines is hot. Any ideas here?????