4.5hp Tecumseh Lawnmower with Mule Like Kickback

cjac

Forum Newbie
Threads
Servicing my neighbour's Tecumseh 4.5hp lawnmower (model: LV148EA Spec: 334036B Engine Family: 1481BA) after retrieving from storage. Gave it a shot of carb cleaner and it turned over briefly. Pulling the cord - the engine felt smooth and easy to spin but this was about to change for the worst.

Cleaned it up, changed the oil, new spark plug and filter added. Removed the carb bowl (and cleaned) and ran a copper wire through the orifices in the bowl nut followed with more carb cleaner. Float assembly looked fine. Removed the blade as it will need sharpening. Filled it with fresh fuel and attempted to start. Nothing! Not a hint of life. Added a bit of gas via the spark plug hole and it did fire but the kickback practically ripped my arm from the socket. Repeated this procedure (without air filter in place) and it was difficult to pull the cord due to constant kickback. It would backfire through the carb sometimes gushing blue smoke. Thought the flywheel key may be sheared. Removed the cowling and cup assembly but the key looks perfect and the key slots in flywheel and crankshaft are aligned. Totally stumped as to why it will not run. Would removing the blade or starting without the blade have done something? Any suggestions???!!! Got to come up with some serious answers for one ornery neighbour(sigh!)

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
The blade is an essential part of lawnmower engines. They need the blade to act as a flywheel because they do not have heavy enough flywheels.

Is this an overhead valve engine? If so, check the valve lash. It may need adjusting.

primerbulb120

Threads
Servicing my neighbour's Tecumseh 4.5hp lawnmower (model: LV148EA Spec: 334036B Engine Family: 1481BA) after retrieving from storage. Gave it a shot of carb cleaner and it turned over briefly. Pulling the cord - the engine felt smooth and easy to spin but this was about to change for the worst.

Cleaned it up, changed the oil, new spark plug and filter added. Removed the carb bowl (and cleaned) and ran a copper wire through the orifices in the bowl nut followed with more carb cleaner. Float assembly looked fine. Removed the blade as it will need sharpening. Filled it with fresh fuel and attempted to start. Nothing! Not a hint of life. Added a bit of gas via the spark plug hole and it did fire but the kickback practically ripped my arm from the socket. Repeated this procedure (without air filter in place) and it was difficult to pull the cord due to constant kickback. It would backfire through the carb sometimes gushing blue smoke. Thought the flywheel key may be sheared. Removed the cowling and cup assembly but the key looks perfect and the key slots in flywheel and crankshaft are aligned. Totally stumped as to why it will not run. Would removing the blade or starting without the blade have done something? Any suggestions???!!! Got to come up with some serious answers for one ornery neighbour(sigh!)

Removing the blade is your problem. Make sure the blade is installed and is in good condition before attempting to start it again. :thumbsup:

cjac

Forum Newbie
Threads
Both you guys rock! I bolted up the blade and the mower started on the 1st tug. No more kickback or busted shoulder bones. Acts like a totally different machine. Thanks a million!

Last edited:

primerbulb120

Threads
Both you guys rock! I bolted up the blade and the mower started on the 1st tug. No more kickback or busted shoulder bones. Acts like a totally different machine. Thanks a million!

:thumbsup: