Engine identity and pull cord replacement

justpassinthru

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just picked up Snapper lawnmower that is non-running. Inside gas tank is sparkling clean. Engine turns over with the blade. Other than being dirty appears to have been well maintained, well oiled air filter, blade sharp, underneath clean.

Challenges are the starting cord is snapped off (Different setup on the recoil for the starter rope?? and the mower has set for a couple of years in a church basement. I am also unable to identify the engine.

I ran the model number VP211p4 the manufacturer is the McDonough company. Snapper V2114 21" 4 HP Cast Deck Side Discharge Series 1

Attachments

• mower1.JPG
    mower1.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 12
  • mower8.JPG
    mower8.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 10
  • mower7.JPG
    mower7.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 7
  • mower6.JPG
    mower6.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 4
  • mower5.JPG
    mower5.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 6
  • mower4.JPG
    mower4.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 10
  • mower3.JPG
    mower3.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 9
  • mower2.JPG
    mower2.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 9

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Air cleaner, carb and gas tank make me think it's a Briggs.

Starter rope is no problem. Just take the sheet metal cover off the engine, crank the starter 'pulley' or whatever its called around, winding up the spring. Pin it with a screwdriver. Thread the new rope in, tie the knot, and pull the screwdriver out, letting the rewind mechanism pull the rope in. Reinstall the cover.

Voila! Ten minute job, if that.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm confused about the "recoil-starter" ... in the following picture what is the housing ..NEXT to the gas-cap covering
..... the rounded housing...??
looks to me like a cover for an electric starter ...does the eng. have a ring gear on the flywheel ..??
But I see no place for a battery either ..!! STRANGE ..

mower4.JPG

Attachments

• mower4.JPG
    mower4.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 5

justpassinthru

Forum Newbie
Threads
Naive me, once I discovered that style of pull cord is called a vertical I was able to find a you tube for how to on replacing the rope.

I am still curious about the actual engine model for ordering spare parts and the mower in general. It has solid steel wheels and is a self propelled so I assume a commercial level?

Just picked up Snapper lawnmower that is non-running. Inside gas tank is sparkling clean. Engine turns over with the blade. Other than being dirty appears to have been well maintained, well oiled air filter, blade sharp, underneath clean.

Challenges are the starting cord is snapped off (Different setup on the recoil for the starter rope?? and the mower has set for a couple of years in a church basement. I am also unable to identify the engine.

I ran the model number VP211p4 the manufacturer is the McDonough company. Snapper V2114 21" 4 HP Cast Deck Side Discharge Series 1

justpassinthru

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just saw your post..Its a vertical pull starter rope, I like the design easy to maintenance and change out a rope.

I'm confused about the "recoil-starter" ... in the following picture what is the housing ..NEXT to the gas-cap covering
..... the rounded housing...??
looks to me like a cover for an electric starter ...does the eng. have a ring gear on the flywheel ..??
But I see no place for a battery either ..!! STRANGE ..

View attachment 32160

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
If it's a Briggs (and I think it is), somewhere on that engine will be stamped numbers indicating the Model, Type and Code. Model and Type are all you need to get parts. Look close.

justpassinthru

Forum Newbie
Threads
I discovered that it was simple as well..unbolt the side carrier for the pull rope and the assembly comes off for maintenance. Here is a pic I found of the unit removed and flipped upside down, looks like a 2 bolt removal for access.

Air cleaner, carb and gas tank make me think it's a Briggs.

Starter rope is no problem. Just take the sheet metal cover off the engine, crank the starter 'pulley' or whatever its called around, winding up the spring. Pin it with a screwdriver. Thread the new rope in, tie the knot, and pull the screwdriver out, letting the rewind mechanism pull the rope in. Reinstall the cover.

Voila! Ten minute job, if that.

Attachments

• mower9.jpg
    mower9.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 9

justpassinthru

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am going to have to give it a harder look over this eve, the deck has been repainted and had to use paint remover to see the tag info. Engine probably same deal, painted over markings.
Wonder if these engines had a standard place that markings were put or was it dependent on the model?

If it's a Briggs (and I think it is), somewhere on that engine will be stamped numbers indicating the Model, Type and Code. Model and Type are all you need to get parts. Look close.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am going to have to give it a harder look over this eve, the deck has been repainted and had to use paint remover to see the tag info. Engine probably same deal, painted over markings.
Wonder if these engines had a standard place that markings were put or was it dependent on the model?

No standardization, the numbers were located in various places.

It will be something like this: 92502 0156 6508112 That's the number off a small Briggs engine of mine. Model, Type, and Code.

primerbulb120

Threads

The markings are typically stamped into the metal blower housing (engine cover.)

Quick tip: If the first part of the model number is 5 digits long, you will have to add a 0 onto the beginning to make it 6 digits in order to find parts. (92902 becomes 092902.)