Mower leaving ridge in grass. (Toro Timemaster)

Rpsls

Forum Newbie
Threads
Title pretty much says it all. The mower is leaving an essentially unmowed ridge in the grass just off center. I've sharpened the blades. Pulled the belt cover off and made sure the serpentine wasn't damaged or slipping, and made sure there was no blade slip. Really frustrating, and it's wasn't something it was doing when it was new. It's just about 2 years old at this point.

Anybody experienced this and know what the fix is?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Usually this is because the blades have worn past their servicable limit.

Rpsls

Forum Newbie
Threads
How so? When I pulled them the blades were still squared on th ends, no major damage to the cutting edges and they weren't bent. What am I missing that could affect their cutting ability?

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Only two things could have happened if it is cutting clean besides the strip.

1. One or both blades are work off on the ends.

2. One of the spindles has either moved or has a bearing gone or is damaged in some way.

If it is cutting level and clean beside the strip I strongly suggest you install a new set of blades on it and try that first.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is only a very small amount of blade overlap.
If you look close you will see one blade is slightly more foreward than the other.
Because of OH & S regs the deck now is lower than the blades all the way round so the blades of grass get bent over, then the airflow from the spinning blades are sucked up strait then chopped off.
How well this happens depends upon the design of the blades, the deck and the height of the deck above the ground and the speed you are mowing at.
As blades get older they wear at the cutting edge, tip & flute.
Small differences in the flute change the airflow under the deck quite dramatically.
Because the blades are offset turning left will give a smaller cleaner cut turning right tends to leave a mowhawk on your lawn.
Try dropping the height down one notch.
The higher the deck is from the ground the weaker the airflow is under the deck.